The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting a 95 Powerstroke and I was wondering what is a good tuner for these trucks? I was looking at the Edge EZ module and possibly stacking it with the Banks Big Hoss chip? Is this possible?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
its already got an adjustable 10k mod on it wich does the same thing as the edge ez so forget that and get a dp tuner chip there the good ones

·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they make the SCT for the 94-97 powerstroke? Also this is for really any 94-97 Powerstroke. Also what is the 10k mod?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
the 10k mod bumps up the pressure going to the injectors, same thing an edge ez does

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
DBogo said:
the 10k mod bumps up the pressure going to the injectors, same thing an edge ez does
Which is of very little benefit in terms of making power, but it does sound cool.

Run one on the dyno with and w/o the 10k mod, no power gain AT ALL from it, in fact operating the HPOP at any pressure higher than necessary will decrease the power to the rear wheels. You cannot make more HPOP pressure w/o using some more poewr to drive that pump.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
well i did it and there is a definate increase

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Did you install the mod on the IPR solenoid or the ICP sensor?

I could see some gain if on the sensor, but I KNOW there is zippo gain if on the IPR valve.

If you install the mod on the ICP sensor, you are effectively lying to the PCM, and that is NEVER a good idea.

The PCM calculates LOAD from things like MAP, FR, and TPS. The FR will be off because it is injecting more fuel than it *THINKS* it is, so the transmission pressures and shift points will NOT BE CORRECT for the power you have.

IMO, either tune it CORRECTLY via the PCM, forget it, or be willing to suffer the failures that will come from it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
its the icp one, i did it because it was cheap and thats all i had the money for at the time, its on an on off switch

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yes, I understand some folks just like to figure out "low buck" methods, and I congratulate them on their resourcefullness!

Just realize that there are ramifications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GotTorque? said:
I was looking into getting a 95 Powerstroke and I was wondering what is a good tuner for these trucks? I was looking at the Edge EZ module and possibly stacking it with the Banks Big Hoss chip? Is this possible?
So to answer the question, NO. a chip in the the back of the PCM will always override any program stored in the PCM. so the banks chip would be running the truck and the edge would just be stored in there, doing nothing.

the Edge will also compesate for the PW, timing, and ICP, IPR, so it is far from an expensinve 10K, but it is still overrated and a chip is far superior.

Diesel Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts