The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of programmer or chip can you stack with the edge drag comp?
Any recommendations or anyone who has had good luck with it?
Thanks Tre
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
That box don't leave a lot of stack options. I know of several people stacking a Smarty with it and having decent luck. Although that is a lot of timing going on and not as much fueling.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
411 Posts
You could stack it with a Smarty but you will only want to use the fueling levels on the Smarty (even #'s). The Edge box has enough timing in it already that the Smarty's is not needed.

DB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
D_B have ran your Smarty with a comp?..if so did you like it? Ya I thought the Smarty had setting without timing that way you could run it with other boxes that had timing
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
411 Posts
strokersmoker20 said:
D_B have ran your Smarty with a comp?..if so did you like it? Ya I thought the Smarty had setting without timing that way you could run it with other boxes that had timing
Nope I haven't ran mine with a Comp yet. I'm looking for a used PM3 now to stack with it to see what it does. I have heard and talked with a few guys that say they run with the Smarty on level 6 with a Drag Comp and that gives them the best #'s though. Anything over level 6 and they say #'s fall off. It could be those guys don't have the air for that much fuel but that's just what I have heard.

My main reason for stacking it to just have some on the fly adjustiblity for those times you need to teach those passer's buy a lesson. :Thumbup:

DB
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
if you want all out power, stack it with a bluechips redline box. All fuel, lots of it, and fueling to 4000 rpm. These boxes cost a pretty penny but they are supposed to be great. Turbo upgrades are a definite must with this box. Having the truck fuel all the way to 4k though opens it up in a way that no other box (that I'm aware) does. The Redline is adjustable from 3400-4k, it can be set to defuel at a specific egt, or that can be overridden It is supposed to be 60hp more than the FMS box which is somewhere around 120hp.
If you want power this is the way to go. that set up(drag comp/redline) with mach 8's nitrous, a big single and a cam, made a solid 832rwhp, can't argue with that.
But smarty will work too.
Sean
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
411 Posts
sstockton said:
if you want all out power, stack it with a bluechips redline box. All fuel, lots of it, and fueling to 4000 rpm. These boxes cost a pretty penny but they are supposed to be great. Turbo upgrades are a definite must with this box. Having the truck fuel all the way to 4k though opens it up in a way that no other box (that I'm aware) does. The Redline is adjustable from 3400-4k, it can be set to defuel at a specific egt, or that can be overridden It is supposed to be 60hp more than the FMS box which is somewhere around 120hp.
If you want power this is the way to go. that set up(drag comp/redline) with mach 8's nitrous, a big single and a cam, made a solid 832rwhp, can't argue with that.
But smarty will work too.
Sean
I can tell you first hand the Smarty will take care of your RPM issues as well.

DB
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
D_B said:
I can tell you first hand the Smarty will take care of your RPM issues as well.

DB
ah, I didn't know smarty fueled that high. Thats cool, that was the main reason I would've picked a redline over a smarty. My edge only fuels to 3300, fuel all the way to 4000 sounded pretty cool. But I've never run a smarty. The other cool thing is defueling based on EGT's, however my foot does a fine job of that for $1400.
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
IF YOU DO GET THE BLUE CHIP REDLINE BE READY TO FIGHT DASH PROBLEMS. i HAVE FOUND THAT THE GAUGES IN THE DASH START TO ACT UP, AS WELL AS A REDLINE IS NOT FOR AN EVERYDAY DRIVER. IT IS A VERY HOT BOX, BUT BECAREFUL AND YOU MIGHT BE OK.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
Thats good to hear. I've been running a BD-RAD, and that messes with the in-dash gauges in a big way as well, and it also throws the check engine, I hate the thing. I'm aware that the redline is a very hot box, and I wouldn't want it for everyday use, just racing/pulling applications. However I can't really see wanting anything stacked for everyday use. thats just me though.
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
My truck is great for everyday driving. I am a student and i drive around campus and blow smoke on the mustangs and cameros, and my truck will flat out walk away from them. I have had great luck with an Edge EZ stacked with my Blue Chip APB. tons of fun to drive. As far as the timing question i dont know. but surton boxes will fight each other and you wont get maximum power like most people know.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
Smokem said:
I have seen an HO truck with just an EZ and stock injectors spray out of the bowl.
That doesn't surprise me. I talked to a guy running a common rail, that just had a box on it, and had some significant engine trouble. anyways, he took the box off to take it in, and they had to pull the head to replace the #5 piston, long story short, they wouldn't warranty it for several reasons, 1; the computer showed erased key cycles, 2; there were burn marks on the pistons from where the fuel had over sprayed the bowls.

It is my understanding, that to have ideal burn, you really need to match spray angle and timing together. However too much timing can also start doing damage to your head gasket because of increased pressure in the combustion chamber right?
Sean
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
sstockton said:
However too much timing can also start doing damage to your head gasket because of increased pressure in the combustion chamber right?
Sean
You are correct. The more timing you have on anything, the higher the cylinder pressures you will be running. That is why headgaskets will blow out much easier on a truck with no studs or o-rings and high timing.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Well guys i think i am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get a smarty to stack with my juice and see what happens first hand. I will let you know how it goes.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top