The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
this is my first post here. im new to the diesel game. Had the truck since Feb. put the banks power pack on over the summer and i am very happy with it.

I have heard that you can "stack" tuners/chip in combination with each other to get even more power...is this true?

i currently have a Banks chip, which tuners would be compatible? I realize i cant get any of the multi-position chips because they plug into the same place as the banks chip...

i have been trying to find a plug&play tuner for the older psd with not so much luck....are they availible?

thanks
~Tim

·
2,334 Posts
PSD's are not stackable with chips or programmers.. the only thing u COULD stack on there is a edge EZ but you really wouldnt even notice to much of a gain for the $$$

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok
thanks for the quick response.

any advise on what my next step for more power would be?

~Tim

·
2,334 Posts
getting rid of that banks chip and going to a flip chip from one of the sponsors.. not to be an ***.. but u will make more power

·
2,334 Posts
getting rid of that banks chip and going to a flip chip from one of the sponsors.. not to be an ***.. but u will make more power

·
1,291 Posts
PSD can be stack but you must stack a plugin box (edge EZ, quadzilla, sixgun etc...) with a tuner or chip. the banks ottamind has different levels so depending on the level you have will make the difference to how much more power you will get from a stack. But, as moose siad you could skip the stack and just replace the ottamind with a high performance chip like what we offer.

·
6,337 Posts
You will see about 10-20 hp out of a EZ edge over what the banks chip is giving you. You will also get a SES light more often and for the $300 you will spend on the EZ or similar and about $100 more, you could get a 6 pos chip and sell your banks.

With the powerpack, you have a good base, just need a better chip to work with it. You should get some kind of intake, a Tymar or similar.

With the 97's smaller injectors you will max out at about 300hp-325hp, no matter what you do... Other then going with injectors!

Give Jeremy (lipd) a call or PM twildman here, Tony is the ****e for the OBS guys!

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the responses guy....

Moose- what is a flip chip?

LIPD- what do you mean by different levels?

im a real novice with the diesel stuff, sorry guys :)

·
6,337 Posts
BigRed97 said:
thanks for all the responses guy....

Moose- what is a flip chip?

LIPD- what do you mean by different levels?

im a real novice with the diesel stuff, sorry guys :)

A flip chip is a multi possision chip, similar to this from DP tuner http://www.dp-tuner.com/73tuning.htm

If you go to LIPD, jeremy can set you up with one. Nick (moose) and Jeremy (LIPD) are talking about the same thing.

·
1,291 Posts
yes we are. Banks offered or still offers a a 1-5 version of the ottamind chip 5 being the most powerful however i am not sure which years what ones are
available for you may all ready have banks most powerful chip for your truck. But Banks is very conservetive on the fuel side of things he doesn't like any black smoke.

·
Registered
38 Posts
jeremy can he stack a six gun with that cause i know where he can get one cheap.

·
6,337 Posts
f450-freak said:
jeremy can he stack a six gun with that cause i know where he can get one cheap.

Yes he could, and how cheap... it is a gauge ya know!!!:Thumbup:

·
1,291 Posts
cheap we took it out of his truck. cause did nothing when stacked with the DP Chip. well not nothing it droped the HPO about 400 psi and set the 1211 code.

·
6,337 Posts
They have a boost and EGT gauge right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
CSIPSD said:
They have a boost and EGT gauge right?
You need help..

;)

·
powerstroke expert
60 Posts
if you were going to do the stack just do a 10K mod cause its basically the same thing! but i would recommend a different chip yet banks does have a descent tune for the OBS trucks. a custom tune is better because you can have the injector pulse width raised alot more to make up for the very small injectors!

·
The Oracle
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys,

i wasnt aware that banks offered different levels of the chip.

will the six gun work on my older psd? i was under the impression it was only for 99+ trucks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chip economy vs power and tranny advice

Does that mean the banks chip will get better economy than the others? I realize it may not make quite as much power, but that's not the 1st priority for me if its going to cost me alot more fuel. I drive across the country, not down a drag strip. I'm looking for better power, respectable egt's, and hopefully better economy, or at least keep the same mpg. Also, I'm getting my tranny rebuilt this week. What's the best converter I can put in it for towing? I see the banks and the BD are about a grand. I found one from midwest for 500.00. Its got a billet front cover and is multi disc, but I'm not sure just how good it is. I'm going to add the extra clutches to all the clutch packs and do every other upgrade I can. Best source for tranny parts? I have a 97 powerstroke in front of a E4od, 2wd. Thanks. Paul.

·
6,337 Posts
You will not see anything to impressive out of Banks...

Drop a call to LIPD, Elite Diesel, or BWD... Banks has nothing for the 7.3 that is really shift on the fly, the 6 gun is just a adjustable 18k mod... You can get a 6 pos chip for less money!

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
question:
i have the banks stinger plus system in my truck and recently sent the chip (ottomind) back to banks for the power pack tune. it was a huge difference over the stinger tune, but when i asked about "getting more" out of the chip they told me i could add the six gun for another 60 or so horse. they also told me that if i add the six gun i have to send the ottomind back to get the stinger tune because it will throw codes on level six with the power pack tune?

now i realize not many people care for banks tunning, but is it worth scrapping the ottomind all together and getting a DP 6 pos.? to purchase the six gun will cost about the same as a flip chip, but will the DP interfere with the trans command module?
i really want my truck to roast the tires from a dead stop w/o using the brakes and i love the smoke. but will the DP give me more power with just the 6 pos. chip, than the ottomind and six gun combined?

thanks,
-Chris-

1 - 20 of 29 Posts