The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy got his truck back now with the DDP 100 horsepower injectors and now it runs almost as good as my basically stock 12 valve cummins haha j/k. But seriously it runs like a champ now! it is definently a lot faster than it used to be but what is a safe boost level to run a stock charger? He has a boost gauge that reads up to 30 but it gets pegged right away with his chip on anything besides stock.

·
TDG Rocks!
393 Posts
what are EGT's?? sure it wont hold forever.

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
what year truck is it?

·
2,509 Posts
I ran 35psi pretty often on my 96 for about a year, and when I pulled the turbo off to go to a bigger one it still didn't have any play in it. I'm not saying it will last for ever, because it wont but it probably isn't going top expload right away or anything.

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
His truck is a 96 and i think he is gonna go get that gauge swapped out for one that reads to 60 psi just so he knows what he is actually running. His tranny is built, he just got that done too so he is alright there and is EGT's believe it or not aren't that high. Ive seen the truck hit 1200 degrees and im sure he can get them higher if he would run his chip up on more than 50 but other than that just cruising around here about 50 mph he is only running 500-600 degrees.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
His truck is a 96 and i think he is gonna go get that gauge swapped out for one that reads to 60 psi just so he knows what he is actually running. His tranny is built, he just got that done too so he is alright there and is EGT's believe it or not aren't that high. Ive seen the truck hit 1200 degrees and im sure he can get them higher if he would run his chip up on more than 50 but other than that just cruising around here about 50 mph he is only running 500-600 degrees.
is his pyro pre or post turbo?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
if his pyro is post turbo @1200 its more like 14-1600* and he will kill his motor fast

·
Smokin'
430 Posts
To the OP - the OBS turbos are stronger then the SD's so running 32 or so psi should be fine but if I were him... I'd start looking into getting a stock H2E or a Modded 66/17 or 66/19 H2E.

if his pyro is post turbo @1200 its more like 14-1600* and he will kill his motor fast
Is that so... my motor has seen 1700°-1800° for 30k miles. In fact about a year ago it saw 2200° and has many times again in the past 6 months.

:happymugs

It may not be GREAT for the motor... but a few spurts into the 1700°+ range doesn't seem to hurt anything.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
To the OP - the OBS turbos are stronger then the SD's so running 32 or so psi should be fine but if I were him... I'd start looking into getting a stock H2E or a Modded 66/17 or 66/19 H2E.

Is that so... my motor has seen 1700°-1800° for 30k miles. In fact about a year ago it saw 2200° and has many times again in the past 6 months.

:happymugs

It may not be GREAT for the motor... but a few spurts into the 1700°+ range doesn't seem to hurt anything.
marty what i was getting at is if his pyro is post turbo it doesnt read correctly so if he thought he was in the safe zone of 1250 for extedid periods he would actully be 14-1700. that will kill a motor I too run my truck @1600 to 1800 for short bursts and ill letter run 1200 pulling the trailer and never let out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts