The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st...Happy Thankgiving Gent's! Tomorrow it's back to reality for most of us.

Anyhow, went to start the truck this morning after it warmed up to 12F, and just click, cycle the key and try again... 1 click.

1st thought, must have dead batteries...batteries test good...12.6v each, then I thought oh s*** hydro-lock :eek:!!!...but then

noticed on my ScanGauge that I get no voltage drop other than the normal glow plug activation when turning the key to the crank start position.

Ok, must have a bad connection or starter motor.

Got the wife up:mocoffee and I crawled under the truck, told her to crank while I tap on the starter with a hammer, as soon as she tryed to crank I see sparks shooting out of the starter.

Thank goodness for my propane tube blaster heater to keep my fingers working. As soon as I went to loosen the starter solenoid battery cable nut the whole thing fell off...thats the quality tested carquest starter I put in some 2-3 yrs ago. Anyhow, got another one from Oreilly's since they were open and closest to me. New reman seems to work just fine, they claim it has a lifetime warranty, cost me 126.98.

I'm just glad this happened at home...maybe I should carry a spare starter next to that FICM behind the seat.

Harry

Reactions: indiana lineman

·
1,324 Posts
1st...Happy Thankgiving Gent's! Tomorrow it's back to reality for most of us.

Anyhow, went to start the truck this morning after it warmed up to 12F, and just click, cycle the key and try again... 1 click.

1st thought, must have dead batteries...batteries test good...12.6v each, then I thought oh s*** hydro-lock :eek:!!!...but then

noticed on my ScanGauge that I get no voltage drop other than the normal glow plug activation when turning the key to the crank start position.

Ok, must have a bad connection or starter motor.

Got the wife up:mocoffee and I crawled under the truck, told her to crank while I tap on the starter with a hammer, as soon as she tryed to crank I see sparks shooting out of the starter.

Thank goodness for my propane tube blaster heater to keep my fingers working. As soon as I went to loosen the starter solenoid battery cable nut the whole thing fell off...thats the quality tested carquest starter I put in some 2-3 yrs ago. Anyhow, got another one from Oreilly's since they were open and closest to me. New reman seems to work just fine, they claim it has a lifetime warranty, cost me 126.98.

I'm just glad this happened at home...maybe I should carry a spare starter next to that FICM behind the seat.

Harry
Glad it worked out. Lifetime warranty are only good if they are open when you need it I've found that doesn't always work out. :ballnchain
I'll pay back the advice I got to pick up a used alternator from a recycler. Starter might be a good one to have too. Hopefully you made her breakfast too.

My previous beast had a 460 and the wiring failed in the starter while I waited in line at the scrap yard. Since it loved gas I shut it off. Luckily my wife could bring me a starter from parts store and a few wrenches. Scrap guys were nice and brought a bin to unload me in the parking lot. One bolt and held it in place had her start it and headed home. Stay warm!

Reactions: harry6.0

·
44 Posts
Harry,

I'm glad you know how to handle that weather. My 68 degrees is worth a pot of gold.
Your wife is a real trooper, treat her well - I know you do.

Reactions: harry6.0
1 - 4 of 4 Posts