The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i replaced the starter selnoid twice now thinkin that was the problem. went to start today cranked twice and was slow and that stoped the selnoid clicked once and cranked again twice than clicked and that was it just clicked once when u would turn key. so thinkin its a dead spot in the starter?

if so what is the best starter to go with? aftermarket with more power or just a plain pepboys one. autozone wanted 160 for one so i figured if i could get a more powerful one it would be worth it.?

·
1,386 Posts
I had the same problem. It would just click once. It acted like it was engaging the flywheel but didn't have the power to turn it over. I had my original starter rebuilt at a local shop for $110 and it came with a 1 year warranty. With the rebuilt starter it cranks over like normal.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
You might want to check all of your battery connections. If there is corrosion on the terminal or in the wires then you are not getting full current to the starter. Then it will make an old starter act bad. Just a thought. You can also pull the starter and take it to Autozone and they will test it for you and tell you if it is bad good or going out.

Jason

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stick with stock replacements.

I had a powermaster high-torq starter, it lasted like 7 months.

It went in the trash....

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
i LOVE starters! oh boy they make me soooo happy! esp my broke one in my truck right now!

oh, and consider yourselves lucky with those low costs, one for my old 12v cost me about ~200 and im expecting same for one im replacing tomorrow :( argh.

·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so should i buy one from pepboys or a high torque one from internet or somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
96 stroker said:
so should i buy one from pepboys or a high torque one from internet or somewhere else?
Pepboys.

At least if something goes wrong, you can go back to the parts counter and get it dealt with.

Read my post above about the aftermarket high-torq starter....

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
jdydiesel said:
You might want to check all of your battery connections. If there is corrosion on the terminal or in the wires then you are not getting full current to the starter. Then it will make an old starter act bad. Just a thought. You can also pull the starter and take it to Autozone and they will test it for you and tell you if it is bad good or going out.
:agreed Your starter pulls more volts from your batteries than anything. Might start by loooking at your batteries checking to see if their corroded and in good shape.

·
Registered
394 Posts
:agreed:

I would also check battery connections especially if its cold in your area then if that didnt cure it i would replace with an OEM starter like ashley said.. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts