The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like aluminum. I'm using Weathergaurds. I especially like the new black aluminum diamond plate boxes.

What are you all running?

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
For cross boxes on pickups we use all Weatherguard 127-5 in the last 5 years

They are the best for the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Almost every truck around home have a UWS (united welding service) box on them. Good boxex that will take some abuse. Aluminum of course, both polished and black.

·
1 for the avi censors!
266 Posts
Duke said:
I like aluminum. I'm using Weathergaurds. I especially like the new black aluminum diamond plate boxes.

What are you all running?
depends on the app.
weight concious, aluminum. F450's run real close to gross almost all the time.
abuse proof and heavy app....steel.
carrying corrosives...SS of course....but getting paint to stick is a lost cause.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have always used weatheguard and never an issue. I have the black finish aluminum as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always deal with Lori but she stopped working out front and the new counter people suck so I stopped going. The last box I ordered was to be in on a friday, no show so I call on mon not answer and after 4 calls I figured they don't want my business.
Granted I am not their biggest customer but I have spent plenty with them over the years.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Weathergaurds did not hold up well at all. The aluminum diamond plate boxes have a plastic coating on them. The coating has seperated from the aluminum in a bunch of spots and they look like they have a cloudy finish on them after 6 years.

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
Joey D said:
I always deal with Lori but she stopped working out front and the new counter people suck so I stopped going. The last box I ordered was to be in on a friday, no show so I call on mon not answer and after 4 calls I figured they don't want my business.
Granted I am not their biggest customer but I have spent plenty with them over the years.

Wills wife Lori was good. Granted I cant remember the last time I was down.
Will workin' out back i suppose, painting and fabing........

We get most our stuff right out of Hillsboro Ford.

·
PSD-aholic
65 Posts
I have a cross the bed Craftsman deep aluminum box. I wish I had purchased one that sat on the bed so I could put my camper shell on and use the box too. Oh well. :blah: :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I still have my deep UWS aluminum box from the PSD and while I think it's a very well built box it's oxidized because I never polished or 'brightened' it. I even tried once with a HD electric buffer/polisher but the diamond plate just destroyed the pads so I gave up. Its only a truck.

The next truck will have a painted box for simplicity and because I make paint and clear. Cheap advertisement.

·
20 Posts
:Thumbup: I use Delta JOBOX, topsiders, the extra capacity models, mounted on the rails of the system one aluminum racks. Whole system works very well.

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
well foir simplicity no other compromises. polished stainless END OF STORY. But they are heavy.

Here in CA we don't have any worry's about corrosion so steel works fine.

The RKI steel boxes have been holding up well for us as have the Delta boxes marketed under the tractor supply company name.

For aluminum Highway products or protech are the only brands I will consider any more.

Weather guard wont get another dime of my money.

·
3,754 Posts
Dualie said:
well foir simplicity no other compromises. polished stainless END OF STORY. But they are heavy.

Here in CA we don't have any worry's about corrosion so steel works fine.

The RKI steel boxes have been holding up well for us as have the Delta boxes marketed under the tractor supply company name.

For aluminum Highway products or protech are the only brands I will consider any more.

Weather guard wont get another dime of my money.
can you elaborate

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
thejdman04 said:
[/B] can you elaborate
I have three different weather guard tool boxes 1 steel 2 aluminum. The tow aluminum boxes were normal sizes but I had to special order them through my local dealer when the came in the I noticed that the welds looked cold. well I should have known better but I took them any way. having to reweld each box several times is a pain in the rear. The way I have them mounted makes them very difficult to remove. Never have had more than 100 lbs in them. Just straps no chains.

That and the clear coating on them is turning chalky. I would have rather had bare aluminum at least I could polish that up.

and the steel underbody box I have leaks a screen door. its on my boom truck, and its on its way out quick.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dualie said:
I have three different weather guard tool boxes 1 steel 2 aluminum. The tow aluminum boxes were normal sizes but I had to special order them through my local dealer when the came in the I noticed that the welds looked cold. well I should have known better but I took them any way. having to reweld each box several times is a pain in the rear. The way I have them mounted makes them very difficult to remove. Never have had more than 100 lbs in them. Just straps no chains.

That and the clear coating on them is turning chalky. I would have rather had bare aluminum at least I could polish that up.

and the steel underbody box I have leaks a screen door. its on my boom truck, and its on its way out quick.
My Weatherguards were junk too. The plastic coating delaminates off the aluminum and it looks like crap.

I'll never buy the coated ones again. I like the black aluminum boxes, but what brand makes a quality black alum diamond plate?

·
467 Posts
We have a 1 year old truck at work the has two weathergard boxes mounted under the bed and they leak like crazy. I would'nt buy them for my own.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
In my area up north in the salt region I cant keep a set of boxes on my trucks for more than 8 yrs before they rust to bits and get holes in the floors. We even tried Rhino lining the entire inside and out of the boxes to no avail. If up north stick with Aluminum, no matter how nasty it gets to looking it saves weight and lasts longer than steel, but if you are south and not much salt in the winter then I would run steel for the durability.

Tony

·
Registered
64 Posts
Duke said:
My Weatherguards were junk too. The plastic coating delaminates off the aluminum and it looks like crap.

I'll never buy the coated ones again. I like the black aluminum boxes, but what brand makes a quality black alum diamond plate?

I like the UWS boxes very durable. They take alot of abuse. They are aluminum they come in black also. I've had mine now for about 5 years It gets a little dull from time to time but polishes right up. Here is their website

http://www.uwsta.com/index.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts