The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day my brothers truck (01 Cummins with 5 1/2" lift and 35's) snapped the shaft coming out of the steering box that holds the pitman arm. It split right in between the pitman arm and the steering box. Thankfully he was just in a parking lot and going very slow. Is this a common occurance in these trucks? If not what would have caused this? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
First off...

Does he have oversized wheels and tires?

Does he go off road a lot?

Well if you answer yes to both (or even one) I'm pretty sure that is your cause of the failure... Most of the failures in the steering and suspension are usually caused by oversized tires and hard off-roading. It puts a lot of extra stress on the rest of the steering components...

For typical street trucks I never really ever heard of a steering box being broke...:shrug:

B

·
0 Posts
The lift and tires is more than likely what caused it, I would not blame the factory parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does have lift and bigger tires. Does not offroad, hell the truck sits alot, he is a college student. I do understand the extra stresses that are introduced with the given situation. Now for a fix... do they make aftermarket shafts? I know they make a so called performance quick ratio box but im not sure if that has hardened parts or is mearly just a gear ratio change. I have found a site that has three different options and prices vary upto $285. Any thoughts?

B

·
0 Posts
Wish I could be of some help, but I have never had any dealings with the gearboxes on these trucks.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
All I can say is a good steering box will be about $300 roughly.

As for any other information on quick ratio etc... I'm sorry I'm fresh out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
with that much lift don't you need a dropped pitman arm to get everything to work correctly not sure if it has that with the 5.5 in lift. a thought./ Ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I not for sure if its actually needed or not but I did install the extended pitman arm.. it came with the lift from Superlifts. Im not sure if everyone has trouble with those lifts or my brothers truck is just abnormal but we fought every nut and bolt on that truck getting that lift installed, and ever since we installed it he has had quite some trouble with his front end. We followed the directions step by step, just seemed like the truck didnt want it on there!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts