The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1993 IDI my steering wheel all of a sudden became loose and wobbles on the column and the key is very stiff to turn. I've had this problem on an '88 Chevy I've had and they always had three screws down in the column that needed tightening and a little thread lock. Are these fords the same basic column as the old chevy's? Thanks y'all have never steered me wrong befor.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
On my 1993 IDI my steering wheel all of a sudden became loose and wobbles on the column and the key is very stiff to turn. I've had this problem on an '88 Chevy I've had and they always had three screws down in the column that needed tightening and a little thread lock. Are these fords the same basic column as the old chevy's? Thanks y'all have never steered me wrong befor.
The part you refer to is called a "Mast Jacket". It is a die cast affair and retained with the three countersunk head screws mentioned. They should not come loose unless they are removed and changed for some reason. The columns absorb a lot of road shock and vibration during normal operation. They must be threadlocked in to not come loose. Remove the steering wheel, lock plate, clockspring, (disconnect the batteries in the truck first!), then remove the lock cylinder for access to the screws. Remove them, clean them up with a wire wheel on a bench grinder and apply threadlocker compound, (blue) and tighten. Prior to reinstalling the screws, ensure the upper bearing is good in the jacket the steering column shaft rides against. This is a good time to lube it up with a stiff grease such as wheel bearing grease.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts