The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago there was a discussion of a broken frame due to steering stops being set to allow too tight of cornering on a tandem. Since I run single drives I was wondering what the rules are on them. I would like to have them turn as tight as possible.

It seems every truck we get is different even if they are the same basic model. We have one T300 that turns OK both directions. One turns sharp left but very wide right. IIRC KW would not change it. One came turning pretty sharp right but very wide left and when I complained to KW that time they set the left turn even sharper than the right and did it under warranty. Now we have a Peterbilt of the same size that turns like a battleship. (i.e. not very sharp at all.)

With a single drive truck, what prevents somebody from taking the stops all the way out?

Thanks
Birken

·
2,555 Posts
Most older pete 379s turned pretty sharp, mack Rs for the most would rub the tires on the spring KW should get better engineers if the frame can't take some steering , a single drive truck should be able to steer sharp as long as the ackerman is reasonably close (same engineers??)

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
I think its all in how you use them. I backed mine in as I have to do alot of U turns on a 4 lane road to get to the yard. when loaded I always go wide and use the gravel as a "3rd" lane to reduce the stress. There is a fomula for how tight they should be and IIRC its based off your WB vs turning radius... I dont have the info handy, sorry. I will say that if you back them off just a little is seams to make a noticable diffrence. a few turns wont hurt just try not to go to full stop on pavment

·
480 Posts
The steering stops are usually set to prevent the tires hitting the frame, suspension, drag link, etc.
You then have to set the steering box poppet valves to match.
It's a lot easier to set the popets for less wheel cut ( steering stops threaded out) than it is to set them for more wheel cut (stops threaded in)
It could be the dealer didn't want to set the stops for more wheel cut due to rubbing on the drag link or whatever, or because it's more work.

·
525 Posts
When i got my 03 w9 in 07 it basically didn't turn right at all,left was great. I back off(in) the right side stop so now the left tire will rub the Pitman arm at full cut. Still turns sharper to the left though. No probs after 400K miles,900K+ total on truck.

·
480 Posts
assuming it has automatic poppet valves and you are decreasing wheel cut, you turn take the weight off the front end and turn the steering to full lock in both directions with the engine running.
If you are increasing wheel cut, you need to remove and reset the poppet valves then perform the same procedure.

If you have a fairly old vehicle with manual poppet valves, you adjust them with a l screwdriver to relieve just as the knuckle starts to touch the steering stop. You need to adjust each side seperately.

How do U set the steering box poppet valves to match???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts