The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the engine Thusday(1/20), and started stripping off extra junk I dont need. I got antsy, and wanted to hear it run. Got some oil(14qts), and a gal of diesel. It took adding a second battery, and a bit of cranking & bleeding to finally start. It fired up, and runs really smoooth. This was after I advanced the timing a few degrees, cut the stock fuel plate into a #0, and tightened the gov springs. I'm stoked, because I paid $500 for it, and it has a P-pump, which I wasnt expecting.
The parts list needed seems pretty lengthy right now. I still need an SAE#3 bellhousing for the Allison AT545. Yeah, the 545 isnt exactly the top of the line choice, but it's a compact size, and still came in the F series truck. Part of the whole theme of "all Ford power". The rear gets a Sterling from a 91 F250, I got that for $60. Up front gets F250 spindles with 12.5" rotors & dual piston Dayton calipers. Then, hydrobooost to make it nice & easy to stop, since it has non-power assist 4 wheel drums now. The 300 that's in it still runs, and I'll need to box the frame, but I'm hopeful.
Size?
It's close to the same length of a DT466, but it's 5" shorter, so it's a little easier fit in a 2WD. It's going to have to go back into the firewall about as much as a 12 Valve does in a 2nd Gen Dodge.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more pix. Check out the multi adjustable gov spring retainer. It allows 5 different settings for the idle spring. I set it in the shallowest notch, so I could crank the inner springs. Mission accomplished. It idles good, and throttle response is snappy, but not too sensitive, and revs to around 3k.

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
Cool:peelout

since the truck will be be so light are you going to a low ratio diff for hiway criusing

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
nevrenufhp, I've been waiting for you to start this thread since the day you put the info in your signature! Congratulations on the new engine and I cant wait to see the finished project!

:happymugs

Reactions: nevrenufhp

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It has 3.55's now, but I'm going to get 3.08 when I get the chance. After it's in & running. The truck weighs 3990 now, and that's still pretty light, compared to an F600. I'd guess it'll weigh around 5500 when it's done.
Hopefully I'll get decent mpg too.

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
It has 3.55's now, but I'm going to get 3.08 when I get the chance. After it's in & running. The truck weighs 3990 now, and that's still pretty light, compared to an F600. I'd guess it'll weigh around 5500 when it's done.
my f350 9500 lbs :damnit

3.08 would be a nice ratio

my final drive with in top gear and in gearvendors overdrive is about 2.40 to 1 if my maths is correct

is your transmission an overdrive?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No OD. it's 1:1 in 4th, and no lockup, unless I spring for the AT1545. I'm building this with as little budget as I can, since basically overtime pays for it, so I dont make the family suffer thru my "ambition".
Sure, an overdrive would be nice. So would a driveline retarder, an air compressor, and air conditioning.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I like it. This is one of the more interesting swaps. That 545 is a great transmission.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That is a P-pump, Right? Is there a reason why you did'nt opt for the 7.8 ford?
Yep, it's a P-pump, and I wasn't expecting it, being the engine's supposed to be a 92. But it was an Alliance drop in reman, dating to around 98-99. It should be pretty fresh, I dont see anything coming out of the draft tube when it's running.
Main reason for not using a 7.8? The deck height. They are roughly 3" taller than the 6.6, and if I did that, I would have sprung for the DT466 they had for $1000. Maybe for an all out drag truck, but not this time.

Since the truck has had a hard life with previous owners, I'm not too worried about preserving it. All the 2 tone body parts are from a 72 F250. I'll basically have an F250, except for what the VIN says. I'll be rolling at max GVWR, hopefully less. I hope to get a video of it running later today.
Maybe I'm overthinking the physics part, but since it has only a 4.4 stroke, I was thinking it should have pretty snappy response, and rev up to around 3800 pretty quick. Injector lines are so short, I see why the timing specs are set so low. I got the timing to 19*, and it already has light clatter. Nothing compared to the 466 at work when I set it to 24*.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, the poor little 300 that's in it now? It's slowly dying. I have to add a quart of oil every 2 weeks, but it has great power & a lovely 11 mpg. It has a mission. The other project.
I was thinking of a father daughter build. Get a 67-68 mustang for cheap. Find a Shelby or Eleanor front nose, and put the 300 with an AOD in it. It already has an Offy intake & 4bbl, along with a few other hop up parts. I'd do a refresh rebuild, since it was overhauled in 99. She wants to paint it Lime green, like a 71 Cuda. I figure, with that combo, it should get at very least of 15mpg, which is decent, but maybe better if I really dial it in & drop the choppy cam. It does sound cool though. Closed loop fuel injection would make it run a lot better in cold weather. She turns 14 in October, so we may be able to get it close to done by the time she turns 16.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Oh, the poor little 300 that's in it now? It's slowly dying. I have to add a quart of oil every 2 weeks, but it has great power & a lovely 11 mpg. It has a mission. The other project.
I was thinking of a father daughter build. Get a 67-68 mustang for cheap. Find a Shelby or Eleanor front nose, and put the 300 with an AOD in it. It already has an Offy intake & 4bbl, along with a few other hop up parts. I'd do a refresh rebuild, since it was overhauled in 99. She wants to paint it Lime green, like a 71 Cuda. I figure, with that combo, it should get at very least of 15mpg, which is decent, but maybe better if I really dial it in & drop the choppy cam. It does sound cool though. Closed loop fuel injection would make it run a lot better in cold weather. She turns 14 in October, so we may be able to get it close to done by the time she turns 16.
That's awesome. If I ever have them, my kids and I will build their first rides.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's the videos. The first one took extra cranking because I pulled out the fuel hoses lastnight. It cranked a little slow on the second one, because I only had 1 battery hooked up.
The first fire up:

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Any updates to this?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a lot. I did start painting the starter and some brackets. Sometimes next week I'll start painting the block. Slow and go. When I get off disability and back at work I can get to looking for a transmission.

·
56 Posts
Im glad you are taking the time to detail that motor.It will look that much nicer when youre showing off your hard work.what color will the engine be? :toytruck

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im glad you are taking the time to detail that motor.It will look that much nicer when youre showing off your hard work.what color will the engine be? :toytruck
Since I have the time, I may as well tidy it up. Going for old school Ford light blue, with black brackets and aluminum on the intake & oil cooler. Pix will come as progress rolls.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Awesome. I hope you're back on your feet soon.

·
326 Posts
Kee[ us updated; Im wondering what kind of mileage shell get

1 - 20 of 62 Posts