The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this mod because my Mother in Law lives with us and when we go places at night she can't see the running board. I also put the reflectors on as a side vision improvment, out here in the country it gets real dark at night, bout the time the drunks are getting out of the bars, and Amway reps are going home.

I used a relay from RS to carry the load, I wired it to the trigger wire for the courtesy lights, so it comes on and goes off with the courtesy lights.

LargeCar :) :) :)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/144453397gCirkK

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
I added some step lights last week also, you can check mine out by looking through all my pics or just click the Cab lights link in my sig.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
Dang ya both !!!

I hate talented smart people !!!!!
Now one of ya have to come to Texus and do that to mine !!!

we need wiring diagrams and How-To's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy to wire. Get the lights mounted on the body seam, run the wires from the pass side thru the body floor reinforcer, connect them all together, run one wire into the drivers door kick panel drill a hole or use the rubber grommet on some trucks, my 03 had the grommet, the 06 did not, tap the black w/pink tracer (check this on your truck), run a heavy gauge wire as feed to the fuse box, ground the relay, and walla.

I'll see if I can find the Radio Shack relay PN and post it later.

You buy the fuel and I maght could make a trip from OKC to texas. :Thumbup:

On edit: I am sorry for the ramble and mis-prints in this post, I guess I really should step up and buy some better drugs, the cheapos aint gittin it.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
Thanks LargeCar --- give me a month to save up for the fuel and you're on !!!

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts I used, the suppliers were FleetPride and Radio Shack;

1 ea RS relay pn 275-226 $6.29
1 ea RS roll 12ga wire $?.??
4 ea FP U.S. 19 ser Mtg bracket pn 43850 $2.45 ea
4 ea FP License Lamp pn 60291-3 $3.60 ea
8 ea FP white reflector 1"X12" $1.25 ea

Assorted connectors, solder, heat shrink, E6000 (I call it "liquid duct tape") and some grommets for where the wire goes through the metal.

I used the license lamp because it has a painted sheild on the top portion of the lens, I was concerned that an all clear lens might shine light in the eyes and thereby reduce the lights purpose.

·
Registered
251 Posts
LargeCar said:
Easy to wire. Get the lights mounted on the body seam, run the wires from the pass side thru the body floor reinforcer, connect them all together, run one wire into the drivers door kick panel drill a hole or use the rubber grommet on some trucks, my 03 had the grommet, the 06 did not, tap the black w/pink tracer (check this on your truck), run a heavy gauge wire as feed to the fuse box, ground the relay, and walla.

I'll see if I can find the Radio Shack relay PN and post it later.

You buy the fuel and I maght could make a trip from OKC to texas. :Thumbup:

On edit: I am sorry for the ramble and mis-prints in this post, I guess I really should step up and buy some better drugs, the cheapos aint gittin it.
How about if I just meet ya in Bridge Creek? Since I am in Moore! Good to see some Okies on here! Give me a holler sometime! 818-6365

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two Okies on the same site, Katy bar the doors. I'll give you a shout on the land line, when is a good time, maybe we can meet somewhere and tell all the lies we are afraid to put in print. You know the ones about how we blew off that AA/FD digger at Thunder Valley. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just pm-ing with 2towrjp and came up with a mod to this mod. Use an amber lens instead of the clear lens, dremel out the bottom of the amber lens glue in a piece of clear lexan, then you'll have the amber side markers or flashers and a clear step light all in one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the link doesnt work can some one put it up again

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
Will contact LargeCar... about link...

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't edit first post so here are the pics.

Good side protection at night, the reflectors are really bright

Reflectors on each end if a step light

the reflectors as well as the lights are screwed on with non corrisive screws and ny-lock nuts.

The lights are wired to a relay (radio shack) with the load from the fuse panel and the trigger from the dome light circuit, it is all packed under the drivers door threshold plate.

PM me if you have any questions.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw a similar mod where they used fog lamps mounted under the body and wired up like LargeCar did to his. They also threw a couple of lights in the rear of the bed to light up bed when courtesy lights were on. Anybody else seen this one and where is it posted? Maybe on another website. Can't remember where I saw it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw a similar mod where they used fog lamps mounted under the body and wired up like LargeCar did to his. They also threw a couple of lights in the rear of the bed to light up bed when courtesy lights were on. Anybody else seen this one and where is it posted? Maybe on another website. Can't remember where I saw it.
:popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Okay, I found it after searching this website

Just wish there were more details about the wiring.:shrug:

Any suggestions LargeCar?

·
Registered
333 Posts
LargeCar,
Was the black w/pink tracer on your 03 or your 06?
Where is this wire located, near the fuse box or under the door jamb panel?
I couldn't gat enough info from my service manual CD to track the wire down.
DrSpeed (Denny) any input on the wire to tap for an '03?

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like it is black with pink on the 03, and black with blue on the 06, go figure. Why did they have to change tracer colors, maybe they just ran out.
Both under the door sill plate.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

1 - 18 of 18 Posts