The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does a 2000 7.3 max out at for boost pressure? I just want to check my numbers that I have been getting.

Thanks!
AJ

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 02 will boost up to 24 PSI. That is as high as i've seen. It still has the stock turbo.....Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine is turning 28#'s before the damn safe mode kicks in and it drops to 25 or 26 pounds. I need to get a boostfooler:damnit .

·
42 Posts
my stock truck gets 17 if im lucky i can get 18 thats bone stock just exhaust..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I wouldn't be pushing it past 25psi with the stock turbine housing unless you want to buy a turbo.

The amount of extra power you make above 25psi isn't much either because the compressor is so far out of its map, it's making a lot of hot air which makes the boost gauge read higher, but in reality doesn't push much more volume of air into your engine at all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've never seen specs for a SD, but I do know that a done stock OBS truck will push a max of 12-14 psi of boost. My best guess would be that a SD should be about the same or maybe a tad more since there are a few minor differances between an OBS 7.3 & a SD 7.3.

·
6,337 Posts
Stock SD should be about 18-19#'s

Greg likes to put the fear of death in everyone about there turbos but they will last just fine over 25#'s... Yes they are out of there map range but there not going to grenade...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have seen my share of toasted turbos.

Then again a sack of bushings (rebuild kit) is less than 100 bucks on eGay, so go for it!

I push mine to 28+ every now and then.

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, my gauge tells me i read 18-19 psi max

AJ

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
No chip? Sounds right.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine isn't running at it's best potential and when i have the chip all the way up i can push almost 40psi out of my stock turbo and i'm going push it till it cann't take it anymore. Stock turbos take one hell of an *** whipping.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Stock SD should be about 18-19#'s

Greg likes to put the fear of death in everyone about there turbos but they will last just fine over 25#'s... Yes they are out of there map range but there not going to grenade...

I must agree with Joe on this one. My little guy handled over 25#'s quite a lot , until the Map sensor kicked in, never put a boost fooler on, might have been a good thing though; because I would've blown it to smitherines the way I drive......:smoke

·
Registered
1 Posts
so is there a way to fix that engine light from comming on and slowin down my truck?? i have a 99 f350 with a 120hp chip and i made that waistgate bypass. after i either shut my truck off or driving NICELY the light shuts off and the thing takes off like a rocket! once i hit about 28 pounds my light turns on but i can still climb her up to 33 pounds with the light on.
so is their a way to fix it or bypass it or get something to even the boost and fuel out??

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I never said it wouldn't handle 25, I said OVER 25. How far over just depends on how short you want the lifespan of the turbo to be.

If you run it up to 27-28lbs "every now and then" you will probably notice no perceptible difference in the life of the turbo.

Go spin it to 35 every day for a week or two straight, get some really long pulls in there at sustained high boost levels like that, and high egt's, it will fly apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts