The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the stock intercooler have metal ends and tubes that connect to the intercooler boots? trying to figure out if i have a stock intercooler or not. I know that the 6.0's have plastic ends... also, what is the difference in size between the 6.0 and 7.3 intercoolers?

·
0 Posts
With you having an early 99...you have an all metal intercooler. Beginning with the 99.5 models...they began to put plastic end tanks in.

the 6oh intercooler is roughly 30 percent bigger. You can see a side by side here. The 6L intercooler has the orange covers.

Here is a writeup on the 6L install in a 7.3L truck. When I did mine...I took off the radiator core support. It made things much more accessible and no draining of the radiator was required.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dave, and the inlets are the same, but require some modifications??? have you found anything since you did it that would have made it easier?

·
0 Posts
Just make sure that you have all the boots necessary before you begin. Other than that...take your time...keep track of all the nuts and screws...and you should have no problem. Your overflow tank may also have to be moved just a bit to get the intercooler in.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is a good price on a used intercooler? and the boots you are talking about is those extra ones in the write up?

·
1,921 Posts
They seem to be on ebay for in the $150 range as I recall.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have a quote of $200 shipped... taken out at about 40k. and cleaned. eh?

·
0 Posts
$200 shipped probably isn't that bad of a price. Yes...the boots are the extra ones. I ordered mine from LIPD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts