The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a dp-tuner chip but don't know how my stock tranny will act. it is an auto and the highest setting I am wanting is the 120. what would I need if my tranny can't take the chip stock.

·
1,052 Posts
7.3FordPower said:
I want to get a dp-tuner chip but don't know how my stock tranny will act. it is an auto and the highest setting I am wanting is the 120. what would I need if my tranny can't take the chip stock.
I had a enco tune and the trany worked fine for a while after 15k it started acting up and I puled the pcm now I am using Edge.
Bill
PS the tune was great!

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Not knowing your useage and/or maintenance history on the transmission, it's hard to say what you will need.

At the least get a good valve body upgrade and probably a cooler upgrade. Some folks suggest a new converter.

I'm just saving my pennies to put a whole new transmission in when this one goes.

prt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I bought this truck with 126,000 on it and the guy I got it from owned an engine performance shop and kept up good matinace. I do pull some heavy trailers some times.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I bought mine with 64K on it - knowing it had towed a TT for a couple of years. I changed the fluid around 70K. I had Jody put an 80e PMT1 flash in the PCM around 80-85K.

I changed the fluid, filter and put a BTS VB in around 100K.

I had an F5 burned with PMT1 and occasionally use the 120 and smoke settings - most of the time it's 80e.

It has 140K on it now and I'm only going to change the fluids if it makes it to 150K before I replace it.

I tow with it a little (4K to 12K#'s since I got it) and have not had any hiccups.

If you add any other power adders than Jody's tunes, you'll probably need to start saving for replacement. 136K is a good life for the E40d and I know my 4r100 will be on borrowed time this summer.

prt

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So If I put a trans tugger shift kit in would you recomend putting a dp tuner on.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
i have the trans go tugger and dp they complement each other very well do it you wont be dissapointed how ever you have to pull the trans to put in the tugger so at that point i would rebuild it whats another grand or so to be don with it? but thats just my .02 worth
steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dp chips are awsome, i had a stock tranny with the banks shift kit with 120 HP f5 chip, and i put 100,000 miles on mine before i started having TC issues

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats impressive to put that many miles on a almost stock trany. the only thig I am worried about is that I am already at 136K on my transmission.

·
63 Posts
I have 58k miles on my DP chip and 158,000 miles on my stock tranny. Just fluid changes and not as regular as they should be. I drove it hard for probably 30k miles with the chip and have started taking it easy now. Must be getting old.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
i bought my truck with 135k on it. put the chip in at 140k and the shift kit soon after (didnt have to pull the trans either). I havnt had a bit of trouble yet. Ive pulled loads over 10klbs and didnt milk it either. seems like the heavier the load and the harder i drove it, the better it shifted. Now im at almost 187k and the truck drives as good as new. no joke. But, i am going to have BTS rebuild it at around 200k. I figure thats a nice long life for a stock chiped tranny. :thumbsup

If anything, add the transgo kit with the DP chip. Its only 100bucks and makes a world of differance when trying to pull something or race someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts