The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me to remove the muffler and run a straight pipe from there to the rear for better sound and flow.

Anyone do this, and whats your thoughts on it?

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
If your running a non turbo idi it will be pretty loud. Ive had freinds that ran true dual straight pipes on non turbo idis and you could here them coming from forever away. I had a straight on my factory turbo though and it wasnt loud.

·
3 Posts
I recently ran 3" pipe off the Y, a performance muffler and turned out in front of the tire. total cost with labor less than 300. sounds great without waking the neighbors or scaring the horses.

·
69 Posts
LOUD AND PROUD IN KY.

I have a 89 model 7.3l idi and i put a flowmaster and 4in exhaust from the y-pipe all the way out behind the back tire,with a 5in stainless tip from flowmaster,sounds really nice,throaty sound,but not super loud,gets alot of compliments on the sound.I purchased everything from jegs and summit,did a little shopping and was able to do it for around 300.00. If you have a mig welder or a friend with one,and a afternoon to spare,i thought it was worth the effort,good luck on whatever you try,i did do straight pipe to,didnt sound as good as this.

·
279 Posts
I went with 3 1/2 " section of straight pipe. A walker 21470 muffler and the tail pipe from my 01 SD. Couple of clamps and adapters. Makes a great budget priced exhaust system. It's not loud, sounds pretty good.:thumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts