The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running just a flex hose in place of the muffler AND cat on their '94-'97 powerstroke??? If so is it loud? THANKS!!

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
Flex hose? No. Real tubing? Yes. Loud? Ish. LOL

·
Registered
422 Posts
I guess you could but...:umno:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Flex hose is a bad idea. Flex hose absorbs the sound in turn muffling the sound some. The best material for exhausts is a thick wall steel tubing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
a staight piece of pipe won't be that much more expensive AND it will last 10x longer

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why can't you use flex-pipe? EVERY class 6-7-8 truck has flex pipe in the exhaust system.

Would I use long sections of it to replace a muff, etc. in a system, NO. But good flex pipe works just fine.

I'd get a piece of stainless and use stainless band-clamps to install it.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
1040 WreckerMan said:
Why can't you use flex-pipe? EVERY class 6-7-8 truck has flex pipe in the exhaust system.

Would I use long sections of it to replace a muff, etc. in a system, NO. But good flex pipe works just fine.

I'd get a piece of stainless and use stainless band-clamps to install it.
that stainless s flex is pricey as are the clamps save your$$$$ and get a good exhaust you can get em for 300-500 on ebay. better yet buy it from one of our vendors/sponsors here

·
Registered
596 Posts
Even if you buy an exhaust system I'd still buy the nice band clamps. Saddle clamps that come with the kits SUCK.

Stainless is the only way to go for exhaust systems.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i ordered a MBRP 4" turbo back today! So how hard is it to get the down pipe in???? THANKS

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not sure about the obs trucks, but my superduty was easy to install the down pipe. Just had to snake it up there. I have heard that you must notch out the firewall on the obs trucks depending on the size of the downpipe.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan said:
Not sure about the obs trucks, but my superduty was easy to install the down pipe. Just had to snake it up there. I have heard that you must notch out the firewall on the obs trucks depending on the size of the downpipe.
I think the dp is 3"...

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
cumminsdieselfr said:
I think the dp is 3"...
The firewall is going to take some beating to get it in... The Superduties are different. My 4" DP just slid right in.

·
Ford Man
27 Posts
Yea, it takes a little beating to get it in there and not rubbing. Its worth the time and effort you put into it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts