The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I neglected to plug it in. It fired ran rough (like usual when cold) started to smooth out. Then it died. Would not restart. Just crank and crank. Plugged it in. tried it later in the day it started and continuted to run. Any idears? Find out tomorrow if it makes it to work.

·
192 Posts
If you're in an extremely cold location (southwest North Dakota?) it's possible you had some kind of a fuel gelling problem that warming the block solved. If plugging in again tonight solves it then maybe you should use a fuel additive/antigel and check your HCFM for water. How cold was it where you were last night?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Since it was "all better" once plugged in this is NOT an issue with fuel gelling but rather one of stiction. The injector spool valves can stick with COLD think oil especially if the service intervals run on the long side (god help you if you run an extended drain interval).

There are a couple reflashes to fix this issue one pre-cycles the injectors with "inductive heating" - keeping the coils energized longer than normal after a cold start to warm the spool valves quickly; and the other to post-cycle the injectors so the oil is pumped from them after shut-down.

Between these two reflashes and using the correct oil - which is 10W-30 CI-4/CJ-4 below 20*F, this problem is basically fixed.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
twas -10? -5? :confused: Had filled it up with fuel friday 20 gals #1 8 gals #2 with 4-6 oz ford anti-gel (last of it) and 12 oz PS 911 to also use, and a little PS white bottle. I think I had the antigel covered. Then it sat all weekend

Not sure why it would do it, but it ran fine the last cold spell, with temps a at -15 to -20 in the morning.

It just has me conscerned, a little.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also am running 5W-40 Semi-synthetic, that doesn't have 1000 miles on the oil.

I'll see what happens tomorrow when I go to work. 17 mile drive I believe.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran it today, with no problems. Glows plugs appear to be working, bat voltage goes from 12.7 to 11.6 then after about 30 seconds of running jumps to 14.1. I'll keep ya updated if it happens again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts