The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I noticed a strange squeaking sound from under my dash when I was climbing a hill under throttle. It sounds like a squeaky wheel caused by a vacuum leak maybe. When it happens I can push the gas pedal down further and get it to go from a pulse tone to a solid tone sound but it is very faint.

My wife thought it was a mouse or bird stuck in the truck but it is definitely something vacuum or mechanical related.

Could it be vacuum related?
Are there any moving parts like a speedo cable from the lower drivers side of the dash?
Thanks,
john

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me a few weeks ago after having my truck in the shop for some repairs. It wound up being the clamp on the Y-pipe right underneath the turbo. The tech forgot to tighten that clamp back up, causing an exhaust leak. Check that out, and see how it goes. It's kind of difficult to get to, and you have to do when the motor is cold. Hope this helps.

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope that is it because it sure sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the dash just above my feet.

I will try to check it out this weekend.
Thanks,
john

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Can you tell more of a difference to one side or the other? Like is it coming more from the driver's side, or the passenger's side?

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Could be a crack or break in the Y-pipe flex joints. If you have a smokey tune look under the truck, behind the motor for soot. Thats usually a good indicator. Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts