The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New Stroker
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some clarification on something. Up in Canada we don't have #1 and #2 diesel indicated at the pumps. Is LSD #1 and ULSD #2? Just trying to figure out what is what with regards to cetane and BTU ratings and such. Thanks.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
62 Posts
Lsd #1 is winter fuel. 500ppm sulfer content. Use this fuel for pre 07 vehicles and in cold climates.
Ulsd #2 is regular diesel with 15 ppm sulfer content. This is what is standard in California. It is a clean burning fuel but is a bit dry. Need to add some lubrication to the fuel for safty reasons.
 

·
New Stroker
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TAZO. I kind of figured that was the way it was but just checking. So is it safe to assume that #2 diesel has the same BTU rating whether it's LSD or ULSD?
 

·
New Stroker
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my Canadian brethren, I have just come across a good read on ULSD:

http://www.cppi.ca/pdf/ULSD_Q&A_e.pdf

We actually have better standards for lubricity than in the US:

"All diesel fuel, including ULSD, needs to meet the lubricity specifications defined in the Canadian General Standards Board CAN/CGSB-3.517. The lubricity specification can be met based on any one of five test methods, including the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) which requires a wear scar no larger than 460 microns (which is more stringent than the ASTM D975 specification of 520 microns)."
 

·
Member
Joined
·
62 Posts
xtremexj said:
For my Canadian brethren, I have just come across a good read on ULSD:

http://www.cppi.ca/pdf/ULSD_Q&A_e.pdf

We actually have better standards for lubricity than in the US:

"All diesel fuel, including ULSD, needs to meet the lubricity specifications defined in the Canadian General Standards Board CAN/CGSB-3.517. The lubricity specification can be met based on any one of five test methods, including the High Frequency Reciprocating Rig (HFRR) test (D 6079) which requires a wear scar no larger than 460 microns (which is more stringent than the ASTM D975 specification of 520 microns)."

And that is the reason I run B50. The biodiesel gives great lubrication.
 

·
what's egt mean ??
Joined
·
586 Posts
xtremexj said:
Thanks TAZO. I kind of figured that was the way it was but just checking. So is it safe to assume that #2 diesel has the same BTU rating whether it's LSD or ULSD?
actually ULSD does not quite have as much power per molecule of fuel and you will notice a slight decrease in mileage/HP when using ULSD compared to LSD..
the process of removing the sulfur also removes some of the available power from the fuel, as well as the lubicity of the fuel. although the refineries are supposed to add lubricant to the fuel, it is a safe bet to always run a fuel additive when using ULSD fuel. it's just a good idea anyway.

#1 is more like kerosene, and it has even less power per molecule than #2 diesel, but it doesn't gel as easily as #2.. hope this helps.
 

·
New Stroker
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So can we add to the BTU rating of ULSD? I've been reading threads on additives for the last 3 days and have just learned (like many) that a higher cetane number is worse for overall power. Seeing as how nearly every additive has a cetane booster, I am left confused about what to run for lubricity and power. I am still leary on using 2-cycle oil and and just plain old frustrated now.:shrug: I have been running PS religiously for the last 9 months and now find out that it is making things worse instead of better.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,051 Posts
All I can tell you is running ashless clean burning 2cycle oil has made my truck run better than anything I've ever tried out there. B2 (2 percent) bio mix, provides excellent lubricity if available. But if your like me in a colder climate region, bio is not popular in winter because of its low waxing/gelling resistance. Higher cetane provides easier quicker firing/start up when cold. I feel the ashless 2cycle oil provides not only the necessary lubricity needed, but also make the fuel burn more evenly and completely, thus providing the smoother quieter running effects it has on these 6.0's and other vehicles.
 

·
what's egt mean ??
Joined
·
586 Posts
xtremexj said:
So can we add to the BTU rating of ULSD? I've been reading threads on additives for the last 3 days and have just learned (like many) that a higher cetane number is worse for overall power. Seeing as how nearly every additive has a cetane booster, I am left confused about what to run for lubricity and power. I am still leary on using 2-cycle oil and and just plain old frustrated now.:shrug: I have been running PS religiously for the last 9 months and now find out that it is making things worse instead of better.
cetane is kinda like the opposite of octane..

people increase the octane rating of gasoline so that it resists "preignition" or detonation in gas motors, this allows higher compression..

on diesel , increasing the cetane rating allows the fuel to ignite easier from compression, therefore allowing the diesel fuel to ignite more readily...

i'm not sure about the effects of cetane rating or overall power production i've never studied it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Hey Harry- What mix ratio do you run with the 2 cycle? I bought my '07 6.0 new, and it just turned 15k. I would like to start using the 2 stroke, but want to make sure I don't add too much, and use the right oil, of course.

Can you enlighten me, please?
 

·
New Stroker
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm on my first tank of 2-cycle mixed fuel - 16oz container for 25 gallons. Noticeably quieter cruising down the hiway and seems a little quieter at idle as well.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
150 Posts
I also use 2-stroke outboard oil in my '07 6.0l. I have done this for approx 17k miles with no issues. My truck runs alot more quiet, smoother, etc. I run 1 oz to every gallon. My truck is stock other than "zoodad".
Once you start to use 2-stroke oil you will never look back.
Here are some links you might find useful:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61703
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61703

On the second link it is 29 pages, but around page 9 the subject(2-stroke)starts to come up and it very interesting.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top