The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-whats the difference between an oil pressure and fuel pressure gauge other than the letters at the bottom? lol because an oil pressure is 60 bucks and fuel is 190 for autometer z series... also anyone had experience with stewart warner gauges cuz their FP gauge is like 80 ...all prices are 0-100 psi...thanks!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody know ?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump....????/

·
113 Posts
6L strokin said:
-whats the difference between an oil pressure and fuel pressure gauge other than the letters at the bottom? lol because an oil pressure is 60 bucks and fuel is 190 for autometer z series... also anyone had experience with stewart warner gauges cuz their FP gauge is like 80 ...all prices are 0-100 psi...thanks!
I have switched oil pressure and fuel pressure sender wires on my truck and they both read the same as they did before.

I have to say there is no difference.
Just make sure the gauge and sender read 0-100 PSI.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
113 Posts
6L strokin said:
That last one isn't bad.

Go to egauges.com

How are you getting your fuel pressure for your sender?
Off the test port? If so are you using ITP Diesels hose?
Off the fuel filter cap?

I was just curious.

I used the ITP Hose from the test port. I had to buy a sender from egauges that had a floating ground for it to work properly.

I use the Commander for the read-out in the cab.
The Quadzilla Commander Fuel Pressure "kit" is junk!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i actually just ran a new "custom" fuel system eliminating the factory setup and i just put a Tee in the line so i am just using npt port...so you dont have to use the sendor that comes in quads kit for it to work with the commander gauge...? cuz that would be sweet, i never could get correct FP reading from the quad sender either...thanks!

·
6,337 Posts
The oil pressure senders tend not to last when exposed to fuel. They may but the senders are differant. as is the dampining on the gauge its self.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
bradcollison1 said:
That last one isn't bad.

Go to egauges.com

How are you getting your fuel pressure for your sender?
Off the test port? If so are you using ITP Diesels hose?
Off the fuel filter cap?

I was just curious.

I used the ITP Hose from the test port. I had to buy a sender from egauges that had a floating ground for it to work properly.

I use the Commander for the read-out in the cab.
The Quadzilla Commander Fuel Pressure "kit" is junk!
actually autometer just came out with a new line of gauges last month called the GS series, they match the 04 style dash PERFECTLY they are black face w/white numbers, and the numbers light up green at night !!

·
113 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet! LOL thanks man! howd you know to get that one? and do you have to hook up both terminals?...since it says floating ground..? or one termal have to hook up to a power source or anything or just the wire going to the commander? lot cheaper and cleaner than having to buy another gauge!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, you just have to thread in the one end, one terminal is for ground, the other you hook up the wire to the commander....gotit...how'd you know what ohms you needed tho?....and i guess that means that just the sender is junk that quad sends, not the actual gauge...? but it prolly works fine on a dodge...

·
113 Posts
6L strokin said:
ok, you just have to thread in the one end, one terminal is for ground, the other you hook up the wire to the commander....gotit...how'd you know what ohms you needed tho?....and i guess that means that just the sender is junk that quad sends, not the actual gauge...? but it prolly works fine on a dodge...
I have an Autometer Oil Pressure gauge/sender. I think I just looked at the Autometer specs on the guage or Internet (can't remember) and that's the Ohms it listed. I did hook the Commander fuel pressure wire up to my Autometer sender and the Commander had exactly the same reading the Autometer gauge did and it was rock steady.

That's how I fiqured out the sender/adaptor for the Commander that Quad sells was junk.

I bought this new sender (you are correct on the hookup BTW) and the Commander works flawlessly now.

I have the hose from ITP Diesel that one end screws into the fuel pressure test port, and a "T" at the other end with a 1 1/2" mechanical gauge from Jegs, and the Commander sender on it. This way I know the reading on the Commander is correct. You can adjust the fuel pressure reading on the Commander too.

I have fooled around with this Commander fuel pressure kit enough I was determined to make it work!

The Dodge gets a different sender. 0-40 PSI. Could explain why it works better.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm, wonder if the sender they send for a ford works for a dodge...cuz i traded my friend with an 01 cummins and a commander my FP sender for some stuff...LOL

thanks for using your knowledge! im going to go ahead and order that sender and hook it up to my quad!!! what did you mean by adjust the pressure reading on the quad?

Thanks again brad!

·
113 Posts
6L strokin said:
hmm, wonder if the sender they send for a ford works for a dodge...cuz i traded my friend with an 01 cummins and a commander my FP sender for some stuff...LOL

thanks for using your knowledge! im going to go ahead and order that sender and hook it up to my quad!!! what did you mean by adjust the pressure reading on the quad?

Thanks again brad!
In the hardware setup in the Commander you can adjust the fuel pressure reading and the EGT reading if you had another gauge you thought was accurate. I adjusts by selecting + or -.

The coolant temperature reads too high, but do they have a selection to adjust that? NO!

That is the other issue I have with the Commander.

·
275 Posts
ok so are your guys going to hook the fuel lines up to the oil pressure gauge or are you just going to assume that the the pressure is the same and just run the oil pressure gauge as an oil pressure gauge? :shrug: sorry for the dumb question but i am still a little confused :damnit
I am looking at autoMeters cobalt gauges

·
275 Posts
one more question, whats the best way to mount these outside of the cab? I really don't want to run fuel lines into the cab.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, if you buy one of the electrical gauges (E) then it will have a sender on the port with a terminal on it so you only run wire inside the cab....and mechanical (M) gauge is what you have to run a hose for pressure to the gauge...you could do like an old hot rod and have the gauge on the wiper cowl with a M gauge LOL

·
275 Posts
6L strokin said:
well, if you buy one of the electrical gauges (E) then it will have a sender on the port with a terminal on it so you only run wire inside the cab....and mechanical (M) gauge is what you have to run a hose for pressure to the gauge...you could do like an old hot rod and have the gauge on the wiper cowl with a M gauge LOL
The cobalt's have an electrical sending unit. but i was thinking about the wiper cowl LOL it would look bad AS$
I just got done ordering this gauge from a local shop http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-6163&N=700+115&autoview=sku

1 - 20 of 21 Posts