The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDG SinglesClub Member#90
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have subs in an OBS crew cab truck?

Post some pics please.

thanks

·
1,386 Posts
I've got 2 8" subs with tweeters and mids behind my back seat. They are made by MTX. The only problem is they were discontinued. Here is a picture to let you see what will fit. If you can keep the enclosure around the same size you could probably get 10" subs in there. I had to slide the seat forward put the speakers in then slide the seat back.

Attachments

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you keep your seat all the way back? Or do you have to keep it all the way forward?

Can you get me the demintions of the box please?

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
tjl said:
I've got 2 8" subs with tweeters and mids behind my back seat. They are made by MTX. The only problem is they were discontinued. Here is a picture to let you see what will fit. If you can keep the enclosure around the same size you could probably get 10" subs in there. I had to slide the seat forward put the speakers in then slide the seat back.
the trick is to find good small subs. I had this same pair of MTX 8's and used a Kicker 400W amp to push them. That was my last "system" got out of that hobby since Ive packed on the kids...

Good speaker prices here

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im looking at getting the Kicker Comp VT subs.

Details:
12" 2-ohm subwoofer
injection-molded polypropylene woofer cone with ribbed Santoprene surround
suitable for marine use
power handling: 50-400 watts RMS (800 watts peak power)
frequency response: 25-350 Hz
sensitivity: 87.1 dB
top-mount depth: 4-3/8"
sealed box volume: 1.0-4.6 cubic feet
ported box volume: 1.75-2.25 cubic feet
Recommended Q-Logic Box Type: 1, 2, 3

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i have a 2 kicker comp vr 12s before. and I have had two kicker comp vr 15s before. Not in the truck of course.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i says it will mount in a 4-3/8" depth.

So if i build the box with an internal depth of 5" I should be good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
what are you using to power them?
Don't forget to account for speaker travel ...don't think you'll be able to attach a grill over those .

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be powering them with an old school rockford fosgate 801s

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a Fosgate 800 series, put it on my roof when I was installing wires. later that day I drove off with it still on my roof @ 30 MPH hit the ground and still got 2 more years out of it.

have had real good luck with Rockford & kicker products, on the other hand Sony gets two thumbs down. bought one new, went back three times under warranty and finally replaced it the 4th time. Got a letter from the repair techs:

"you must not adjust the RF gain control or any other dials above half way, if you do this again your warranty will be void"

the dials actually were at exactly half way when I used it, and besides why put user adjustments on the thing if it cant handle it...crap

If I get around to installing a system again, ill get one of the fancy amps with a cooling fan

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea this is the first and only amp i have ever bought, it has been through all my cars, and even my friends have borrowed it.

·
1,386 Posts
GilroyRacing said:
Can you keep your seat all the way back? Or do you have to keep it all the way forward?

Can you get me the demintions of the box please?

thanks

The seat does go all the way back. They measure 13" tall, 16" wide, 4" deep at the top and 8" deep at the bottom. The bottom actually sits slightly under the back of the seat. I don't know if the 12's will fit but 10's should with no problem. The boxes I have also have mids and tweeters in them.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it shouldnt matter if its 10s or 12s as long as the mounting depth is around 5" and the box volume is 1cu.ft.

thanks guys

·
1,386 Posts
Post some pics when you get it done.

·
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would do it this weekend, but I am in Pa. and my truck is in Md.

I dont have a way to take measurements behind the back seat of my truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts