The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to run an ultra refined diesel (basically no sulfur) in my truck. I have heard if you add a quart of transmission fluid to every 50 gallons or so it will help lubricate injectors, pump, etc. This will prevent any damage running highly refined diesel. Does anyone have any exerience with this?:damnit

·
99 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid has friction modifiers and additives in it to keep it from burning. I wouldn't put it in any engine. Where do you get anything with less sulphur than the 15ppm ULSD everyone else gets? ULSD won't hurt your truck. The fuel still has to meet the same minimum lubricity standards as 500 ppm LSD. But if it bothers you do like MoparMan says and just dump some super tech TCW3 2 stroke in there @ 1 quart per tankful.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yup what he said! 2 cycle oil will do the job it was ment to be burned! Tranny fluid will do damage! It worked years ago in older trucks with alot more clearance in the pumps that was mercon 3 but like he said they put alot of stuff in it today to help the tranny's survive!

·
Registered
58 Posts
TN-DiEseLjunKy said:
But if it bothers you do like MoparMan says and just dump some super tech TCW3 2 stroke in there @ 1 quart per tankful.
Actually, I think he advises 1 ounce per gallon (128/1 ratio). If you keep dumping a quart at every fillup, MoparMan points out you could start getting too rich on the blend.

·
Registered
699 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
suttons1 said:
I am trying to run an ultra refined diesel (basically no sulfur) in my truck. I have heard if you add a quart of transmission fluid to every 50 gallons or so it will help lubricate injectors, pump, etc. This will prevent any damage running highly refined diesel. Does anyone have any exerience with this?:damnit
Yeah... Chevron/Phillips 66 was design the next step in NO SULFUR diesel really soon. I did have a link to there documents but it seem to disappear from the web...

But I would take a look at my web page that someone has so gracously post for you...:sly:

·
754 Posts
I run a product called DieselKleen in my truck. You can get it at any Checker type auto parts store. It costs about $7 and treats 100 gallons.

http://www.powerservice.com/dk/

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Hey Mopar, What 2cycle should I snag for my trip LA tonight? and How much? I ordered a case of Optilube XPD to try, but it will not be here for a week probably.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
754 Posts
Mopar1973Man said:

I read your page and everything is very sound in theory and sounds great. But if you read on DieselKleen's site they contradict what is in your page in at least one aspect so I called the dealer and they said the additive I'm using is good stuff. I don't know you so please don't take this personally but how do I know who to believe? I certainly want to do what's best for my truck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I tried the 2 cycle oil and it works great and not all concerned in it causing damage but... it killed my milage by at least 1.5 mpg.
everything is a trade off in this world - you just have to pick which one you want. my .02

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Kummins said:
I read your page and everything is very sound in theory and sounds great. But if you read on DieselKleen's site they contradict what is in your page in at least one aspect so I called the dealer and they said the additive I'm using is good stuff. I don't know you so please don't take this personally but how do I know who to believe? I certainly want to do what's best for my truck.
I would suggest looking towards a better additive like Opti-Lube or Bio Diesel they rated much lower in HFRR score... The lower the HFRR score the less wear to the fuel system...

I not pushing 2 cycle oil but its a option to those that don't have a better option for fuel additive.. Like myself I got PS and MMO here in town that's it. No Biodiesel. So I go to use what I got around me...

Like you I want to protect my $32K dollar truck from damage too...

So nothing personal taken...:popcorn:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to add a couple cents to this discussion: My "rig" is only a $9300 investment, so I'm not as inclined to be careful as someone who put over $50k into theirs. Having said that, I don't want to replace mine any time too soon, either. I've begun to add just a wee bit of 2-cycle (I don't know the brand, but I get it from Wallyworld in the big container and use it in my chainsaw as well.) to my 5.5 Gallon tank every time I fill up the container in town from the red-dye pump. I put the oil in first, fill about a half gallon of fuel, swish it around to make it completely absorbed into the fuel (just like you're suppose to do when you mix it with gas for the saw), then I fill it the rest of the way up. It's super important to mix it very thoroughly to prevent clogged injectors and filter. My old man just poured some 2-cycle directly into his tank and then was wondering why his truck (F-250 7.3l) wasn't running worth a crap.

A couple other notes, don't put too much into the tank. I doubt you'd need more than a quart (four cups) for a 34 gallon tank. Another thing: 2-cycle oil is the second best thing you can treat the fuel with. Biodiesel is the first. Just one or two percent should be sufficient but if you can get it straight, that's that much less oil from Venezuela you have to pay for. And that much less you have to add to the bottom line of these super greedy oil companies. Until I make my own, I'm forced to burn what's at the pumps, but I will say that after adding the 2-cycle to my fuel, the Lombardini 2 cylinder diesel in my Arctic Cat ATV has quieted down, and has a smoother idle. Haven't noticed any difference in the range, but with a 900 pound ATV on 6PSI off-road tires, you're just not going to notice that sort of thing like you would in a on-road vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
It's super important to mix it very thoroughly to prevent clogged injectors and filter.
Don't worry... 2 cycle oil will not plug up a fuel filter even at doses as high as 5% which has been tried by another person on a forum. As for plugging up a injector not going to happen either...

Quoted From Dodge's Factory Service Manual (2nd Gen VP44 and 3rd Gen CR)
Each fuel injector connector tube contains an edge filter (Fig. 13) that breaks up small contaminants that enter the injector. The edge filter uses the injectors pulsating high-pressure to break up most particles so they are small enough to pass through the injector.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts