The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I should have around $4250 here pretty soon and I think I'm going to go ahead and get the suncoast. Do you guys thing it will be cheaper to get the tranny already built or to just buy the parts and have a trans shop build it?

Anything else I should know or other ideas for the $ just throw it at me. Appreciate it.

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
Get the tranny already built, but your going to need a little more than 4250.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Why do you want to do it? are you having problems? If not I would jsut wait for it to break.

·
2,126 Posts
I think just doing the superduty rebuilt kit would be a better choice it seems?
I think that would be less than what you have thought for it now. The Torque Converters in these new ones are supposed to be pretty tough.

·
Diesel Addict
203 Posts
I would spend the money on something else until you need it? Don't fix it until its broken. You have to check with some of your local shops I know a lot of people in New Orleans don't do bench jobs, but if I was you I would get the complete tranny but your gonna need about $6000 depending on what you want.

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not really having any problems at the moment but being a college student its not very easy to get a hold of a nice chunk of change so I figured i'd go ahead and get it for the future.

and i wont be getting a 6.7L, but my dad might :thumbsup:

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
If you don't fix til broke, will Suncoast still take your tranny as a core unit? Just curious for personal knowledge, as I plan on redoing my tranny sometime.

·
Diesel Addict
203 Posts
I don't see why not?

If you don't fix til broke, will Suncoast still take your tranny as a core unit? Just curious for personal knowledge, as I plan on redoing my tranny sometime.
You should spend your money on some power mods, tuner, dpf delete, intake, exhaust, that will eat up a good bit of cash, I wouldnt worry about a tranny until its broken...

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
Me personally, I don't plan on doing the tranny as long as I have to. But I know eventually I will have to, so just curious. I don't know what to do next as far as power mods go really. I don't have the bank account to go to Elite and take one of everything.

·
Diesel Addict
203 Posts
Look into Nitrous kit, egr block offs, tranny selnoid, tranny external filter, you might want into preventative mods right now and start saving.

Me personally, I don't plan on doing the tranny as long as I have to. But I know eventually I will have to, so just curious. I don't know what to do next as far as power mods go really. I don't have the bank account to go to Elite and take one of everything.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, in most cases the tranny even if it doesn't work will still get you your core credit back for Suncoast. They test DRIVE(yes drive like in a truck) there 5R110 units prior to shipping and they work awesome, well work the moeny. Let me know if you need a price or contact John directly at Suncoast, tell him Sean sent you!

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
I don't really like the idea of an EGR block off plate, for some reason.

·
Diesel Addict
203 Posts
Its your truck and your choice but all EGR do is put soot in your engine, I did my old GMC 2005 as soon as I bought it.

I don't really like the idea of an EGR block off plate, for some reason.

·
2,126 Posts
Anyone else done the rebuild kit from SunCoast?

·
433 Posts
I would get the complete, it may cost more but if something goes wrong with it and its a rebuild there is no warranty. 2 year unlimited miles on a complete, i wish i would have done it! Cost me 5 k to get a rebuild kit installed!!! and now it doesnt run right and im F$%KED

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Not sure where you guys get your trans built at but damn they charge a lot. Had my parts bought and installed by Merchant automotive for 4000.

·