The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering one of these turbos. A friend is selling hs truck, and asked me if I want the turbo off of it. I'm not really sure if it's the right model for me, because I don't have any info on them yet.

Any advice?

My setup listed in my signature line will be installed next week. The tranny is getting upgraded this week.

I use my truck for towing occasionally (7000 pound trailer), and normal driving.

My concern is that the Super B will spool slowly, and make too much boost, as my head is all stock.

Thanks,
Chad

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My signature doesn't show up! I'll figure it out in a bit.

100 plate, BHAF, 3000 GSK, 4" pipe, Isspro guages, ATS torque converter and valve body. Stock otherwise.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
the B supports like 425 horses, so it'll probably alright, it'll definitely cool it off, look, if the guy's giving it ot you take it, try it and see what you think

B

·
0 Posts
It will spool a little slower than your stocker, but will not be undriveable. As for boost, I would be more concerned at this point as to if you have enough fuel for this turbo.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think the super b single is set around 40psi. It should spool only a hair slower than stock fro what I've heard

If you can get it for a good deal (they are only $1200 new), then I'd say go for it. Make sure to get a downpipe for it since its a true 4"outlet.

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll see what I can get it for, maybe including the down pipe. Right now, I'm just excited to get what I have sitting in the garage installed on my ride. Had no plans for a turbo at this point. This just sort of fell in my lap.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Lucky!!!

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Let me transfer this to the performance area...:Thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you dont like it you can through it in lap wish i had friends like that:shrug:

·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to pass it on to another friend that has plans for more fuel than I do. I didn't really like the idea of an even slower turbo than stock, especially when I don't really NEED the extra boost right now.

Thanks again for the input.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, you would want to crank your pump up a little more or throw in some injectors to get that thing to spool alright towing. Trying to tow with a charger that is too big isn't much fun.
Sean

·
4,827 Posts
Probably a smart move if you didn't want to add more fuel. The plate alone wouldn't be enough. Right amount of fuel, the additional lag is very minimal. Wouldn't even really notice it after a while.

It isn't so much the boost you have to worry about. It is the drive pressure. 40 psi with that turbo wouldn't cause head problems. 40 psi on a stock turbo, it would most likely take out the headgasket, depending on its condition.

I'm putting down close to 400hp, and the head has never been off. All stock head parts. You would've been just fine with that turbo. Only problems I've had with more boost, is blowing my intercooler boots off and finding that my intake manifold bolts were loose (from the boost leaks). LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts