The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought you guys might want to see this. Its an MP90 from a mustang the turbo is an 80mm Y2K ballbearing from Turbonetics. The system uses the blower for low end (5psi available @ idle!) and the big turbo for top-end and flow. When the turbo makes boost, it pushes the turbo's internal bypass valve open and blows through it, lessening the parasitic effect on the top-end.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
645 Posts
have you noticed any increase in fuel mileage or is your right foot to heavy to tell.

I am building my GMC TopKick (avitar) to get fuel mileage. I almost got it ready to haul I put a 12 valver and a 13 speed in it.

I see Conn. plate on that truck. Any chance your going to be at any truck pulls?

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may go to brooklyn. I have a couple friends that pull there. MPGs are def. increasing but I need to get a couple tanks through it to tell for sure. I put 100 miles on it hauling a fully loaded steel 4 horse this weekend and it worked perfectly even pulling steep grades from a stop! :rock

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we did get hay from john once/twice.
The SC alone was close to $1k rebuilt.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has an H2 cam already and still has a large turbo to feed.
If you'd care to elaborate, maybe it would help?

·
645 Posts
You do realize that a supercharged engine requires far less overlap?
dose that mean a supercharger will really help efficiency with a stock cam?

So would be better of adding a supercharger to 12 valve cummins then a cam for efficiency?

·
645 Posts
hey Turbolvr, On your set up what dose that supercharger use for lube?

Is it lube from the engine oil or dose it have a small amount that sits in a reservoir?

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Eaton SC's have a self-contained synthetic lube oil. so no external lines at all. :)

·
2,063 Posts
You greatly reduce the overlap with supercharges, Naturally Aspirated and Turbocharged have back pressure to the exhaust and need more time to empty the cylinder. Supercharged has pressuer on the charge air system all the time and needs far less. You would need a custom cam.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe you missed this, but it DOES have a turbo. If anything a little overlap might help me spool it sooner.

·
2,063 Posts
I caught that, ... if you do not have experiance with turbo - supercharged engines you may want to refer to the Detroit 8V71 but it was a 2 cycle. The only way to get the compression high enough to make thing work was to supercharge it and reduce the exhaust timing. 2 Cylcle diesel need much more air due to the fact they have a power cycle every time the piston goes down, so Detroit also added turbos to those engines with a higher hp to displacement ratio. Not all Detroit diesel are 2 cycles and not all are supercharge.

·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
later- Unless you have data &/or details specific to THIS build/combo, please refrain from commenting. I have been building forced induction engines, both turbo and supercharged, for over 20 years. Yes, I do have a little exeriEnce. thanks.

·
2,063 Posts
later- Unless you have data &/or details specific to THIS build/combo, please refrain from commenting. I have been building forced induction engines, both turbo and supercharged, for over 20 years. Yes, I do have a little exeriEnce. thanks.
Yes, and I have close to 50 years experiance now.

A common rail cam has less over lap and can be re-ground to meet your current needs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts