The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hearing so many rumors about Ford dealers being able to tell if a tuner had ever been installed I asked Superchips the question.

Here is Superchips' answer:

"As long as you return your vehicle back to stock before taking it to the dealer for ANYTHING .. even if it’s just for wiper blades or a car wash. If you do this, then you will not have any issues with the dealer or your warranty.

Remember, you must also drive your vehicle in stock trim to let your vehicle’s PCM re-learn its parameters BEFORE you take it to the dealer. This will eliminate the chance of a code popping into or staying in the system. You should be fine after that."

Hopefully this will dispell the rumors -- :)

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heinzboy said:
Yeah ok, but how long do you drive the truck before the pcm re-learns? 40 cycles or so?
I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or really want to know. If you really want to know you could email Superchips and ask them.

:shrug:

·
79 Posts
It takes about 20 miles for a computer to "re-learn" after something like a battery disconnect, I'd imagine the same distance for this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
examples:
Truck is dead and is towed to the dealer: (you can not put any miles before the service)=If you removed the tuning , the ONLY code they see is P0603 DTC=Internal control MOD KAM (K.eep A.live M.emory) error. This is the SAME code as when you remove the battery voltage from the computer, and it resets you driving habits information.

Program removed from the truck and you drive it for 50-100 miles and the computer relearns the new driving habits: Dealer CAN'T see anything!!

Leave the tune in the truck and take it to the dealer: He can NOT read that you have a tune in the computer UNLESS you tell them.
***If you do not remove the tune and the dealer reflashes the computer, you LOOSE the tuning.**** There is a charge to reprogram the tuner to work again!!!

I hope this helps.
Ron:usflag

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the latest info for those who were asking:

Question:
How far do we have to drive the vehicle for it to re-learn its parameters?

Superchips' Answer:
Let it warm up completely, then do some steady highway driving for at least 5 minutes around 55mph. Also do some accelerating through the gears, as well as coast down from cruising speeds. That should more or less hit all the parameters that the computer needs to see. It’s not exact, as every car/truck is different.

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the latest info for those who were asking:

Question:
How far do we have to drive the vehicle for it to re-learn its parameters?

Superchips' Answer:
Let it warm up completely, then do some steady highway driving for at least 5 minutes around 55mph. Also do some accelerating through the gears, as well as coast down from cruising speeds. That should more or less hit all the parameters that the computer needs to see. It’s not exact, as every car/truck is different.

·
6,337 Posts
superchip tuner said:
examples:
Truck is dead and is towed to the dealer: (you can not put any miles before the service)=If you removed the tuning , the ONLY code they see is P0603 DTC=Internal control MOD KAM (K.eep A.live M.emory) error. This is the SAME code as when you remove the battery voltage from the computer, and it resets you driving habits information.

Program removed from the truck and you drive it for 50-100 miles and the computer relearns the new driving habits: Dealer CAN'T see anything!!

Leave the tune in the truck and take it to the dealer: He can NOT read that you have a tune in the computer UNLESS you tell them.
***If you do not remove the tune and the dealer reflashes the computer, you LOOSE the tuning.**** There is a charge to reprogram the tuner to work again!!!

I hope this helps.
Ron:usflag
So when Ford VOIDS my warranty for adding a power enhancer (noted in the book as a valid reason to void the warranty) superchips will take care of the bill... Thats good to know!:thanks:

But some of us feel if you mod it you just bought the warranty yourself...

What Ford need to do is sell these truck with NO warranty if you so want for a reduced price...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts