The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The one and only
410 Posts
No idea I would never put one of them on my truck if it was my only option.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Because they are junk canned tunes off the shelf made to work with any 94 - 03 7.3l even though there are differences in the PCM codes.

Get a custom tuned chip from someone like Matt @ Gearhead or Bill @ PHP

·
6,337 Posts
i was wondering what everyone was getting for mpg with superchips 1705 in the xtreme setting(or non towing).

I ran one on both my 97 and my E99... Great little mindless tuner. You can run it, have little fear of breaking anything and it does what they tell ya.

I loved it for the mods I had, I would say its the safest off the shelf programer you can buy.

IIRC I would avarage 17-19 with the superchips back in the day with 35's and 3.73 gears.

No idea I would never put one of them on my truck if it was my only option.
You have never ran one... its not a bad option, no reason to trash EVERYTHING but your Matt...:bang

·
The one and only
410 Posts
You have never ran one... its not a bad option, no reason to trash EVERYTHING but your Matt...:bang
Have I ran one... No had a buddy that had one on his truck for a while. It never acted right on his. Lots of white smoke on start up and stuff like that.

I don't trash everything but Matt... I said Bill @ PHP is a good tuner also along with many more.

·
6,337 Posts
Have I ran one... No had a buddy that had one on his truck for a while. It never acted right on his. Lots of white smoke on start up and stuff like that.

I don't trash everything but Matt... I said Bill @ PHP is a good tuner also along with many more.
If he had white smoke at start up then it was not a superchips issue. There tuning does not change the factory off idle crap at all.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
If he had white smoke at start up then it was not a superchips issue. There tuning does not change the factory off idle crap at all.
Funny how we pulled the superchip and everything was fine. He ended up running a DP Tuner till he sold it a year or so ago.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
I guess we must have had a bad one. It happens I guess

·
53 Posts
Because they are junk canned tunes off the shelf made to work with any 94 - 03 7.3l even though there are differences in the PCM codes.

Get a custom tuned chip from someone like Matt @ Gearhead or Bill @ PHP
Didn't Bill have a lot to do with the development of Superchip's diesel tuning way back before Diesel Power? If yer trashing the junk canned tunes from Superchips, you most likely are trashing many of the files and tables that Bill uses even today...or defivitives thereof.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Didn't Bill have a lot to do with the development of Superchip's diesel tuning way back before Diesel Power? If yer trashing the junk canned tunes from Superchips, you most likely are trashing many of the files and tables that Bill uses even today...or defivitives thereof.
To my knowledge Bill helped edge with the Evo but that is all I know. Never heard about him working with Superchips

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
the superchip is great for what it does I still run one because I am to cheap to buy some good tunes

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can tell you that when I first started at SC, none of Bill's files were in the 1705. They were done by a few other calibrators with some later ones made by me.

Nutty

·
9 Posts
I got 20 mpg once with my '97 while I was running it. I think a lot of people start there, and just upgrade once they want a little more power.

·
53 Posts
To my knowledge Bill helped edge with the Evo but that is all I know. Never heard about him working with Superchips
big_stoker.....take a look at nuttyprofessors post....seems that Bill didn't write any files for the 1705. I was told that he did, but then again I was TOLD.

Anyway, I do agree that the 1705 is a canned programmer, but it is not all that bad. I ran one for a while, and still have it to pull codes. But you are absoultely correct in that a custom tune from a custom tuner IS the way to go.

·
53 Posts
I can tell you that when I first started at SC, none of Bill's files were in the 1705. They were done by a few other calibrators with some later ones made by me.

Nutty
Well, they told me that he worked on the diesel tunes, but then again they TOLD me.....guess even employees get the info wrong...I stand corrected.

But none the less, I have no complaints about the 1705, it delivers, is good for the money, and is pretty tame compared to what is available today from our friendly custom tuners!

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
its not as powerfull as a custom tunes. But, How much are custom tunes? I got my superchip for $100

1 - 20 of 31 Posts