The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other pickup is a '00 F-250 S/C L/B V-10. It has a pro-comp 6in. that fits all model S/Ds (same part no. for all kits). It is extremely stiff and have read that it is mostly there shocks. My '04 powerstroke C/C S/B has a 8in. BDS and it rides really nice, is the wait that much different anyone else run these lifts. I laid my '00 on its side earlier this year I feel because it is so poor handling, It also feels like there is very little braking power in the rear as the fronts just activate the abs instantly on ice, and feel like there are no brakes what so ever, it does'nt dive much in the front when the brakes are applied. I know its a gas but does anyone have experience with abs modules, or is maybe the master cyl. Sorry for such a long post, but I live in a smaller town and the knowledgeable people are lacking here, and the few times I have been to shops for repairs I have been ripped off without even getting any results,Thanks

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Ok, first I moved your thread to this forum because it's more likely to see input from guys running the varius setups you mention.

As far as ride quality and handling go, you have three factors:
1. Spring design/spring rate
2. Shock design and valving
3. Anti-roll bar mounting/connection

The spring rate is determined by the number, thickness, length, and arch of the spring. Generally for a softer ride and the same load capacity the lift kits come with springs that have more leafs made from a thinner material. This makes the spring more progressive and gives a softer initial compression but ramps up to match or even exceed the factory rate. Also, it's quite common for the spring builders to slip in liners on some of the leafs to increase the slip and remove friction to soften the ride.

Dampers are there to control the axle motion, they need to match the characteristics of the leaf spring and the load or vehicle weight. There are literally dozens of ways to configure the dampers, and I won't get into that. But the best dampers can't cure a ride problem from a spring that's built wrong for the application.

Anti-roll bars or sway bars are really a fine tuning device for the suspension. They work to limit body roll but they can also impose additional spring rate in the process. Changing the length of the sway bar end link does slightly change the rate of the bar, so in actuality it is better to keep the end link the same and relocate the bar. On the 99-04 trucks this isn't practical like it is on the '05+ models. Suffice to say that if you bind any part of the bar, it will mess with the ride quality.

I would look at the leafs on both trucks. The V10 and the 6.0L are actually pretty close in weight, the 7.3 was a bit heavier. The truck that rides better will likely have a spring with more arch, more leafs, and a more progressive pack. It's not always the case, but fits what you described. You may have gotten springs for a 7.3 for that V10 and not known it all this time. Could be a combination of things, but in the end if the BDS setup is what you prefer, you may simply want to change it out.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, Thank you for your informative posts, I just simply cant get a positive response like this in my area. My V-10 does have less springs and arc than my powerstroke, the sway bar and end links and pitman arm brackets are all there to meet roughly the factory geometry. procomp only makes one kit for all models of SD's. The truck just handles poorly and I am trying to figure out the contributing factors as it is dangerous in ice and snow and panic stops, I feel the suspension for how stifff it is is a contributing factor nodoubt, I have hawk brake pads bet the ford ones did not seem to perform any better and the tires are not the greatest but not bad, I have driven worse with better results. I have hit a street sign damaging the box, trying to avoid a car and then laid it on its side form the same braking situation, in short the fornt abs kicks in with little effort and feels like there is virtually no brakes, I bought the truck with the lift and have spent to much on it, but would like to use it as a work truck without having to spend alot, and some say it's just the shocks, I guess if it really comes down to it the lift will have to come out, it is truly a scary 4x4 to drive in winter, which is usually the opposite.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
You may want to obtain a copy of the install instructions for the lift kit and verify everything is installed properly. This might mean tear it apart and put it back together once to verify everything is right. Now, if ProComp only offers one kit and the kit includes springs that would mean the springs are intended for the additional weight of a 7.3 diesel. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they would contribute to poor ride quality. Check the suspension for binding, you should be able to rock the truck without massive effort. If you don't want to toss heaps of money at it, take your time to find the problem.

The lack of braking is curious. I've driven 99-04 trucks with stock brakes and 35s and there was no issue with braking. I also tried aftermarket pads on my Excursion with 33s and they suck, I'm going back to Ford pads. You may want to try a complete flush of the brake system, old fluid can hurt function.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying different things to try and find the problem, part of it has to do with the odd driving schedule (every few months) and a little hard to remember some of the changes made. I did have the left rear caliper seize on it a common problem due to it being mounted on the front of the diff, it may been slowly seizing and I was unaware, when i found the problem it got new rotors and pads, all caliper pins were clean and lubed and the entire system flushed, other calipers may be seizing as the truck sat alot, the left front rotor is starting to disclour. I think the pads are a contributing factor just a timing factor of when I put them on made it feel like there was no differance. It fels like a master cylinder problem after you barke hard a few times then you can feel the back start to bite hard, but that can also be because of the pads, the pads confuse me, I understand heating them , especially the aftermarket ones, will cause them to bite harder, but you can the drive on the highway for miles after heating them and they will sometimes bite really well most the time not so much, I will be looking into this brake problem alot more in depth. The suspension is just stiff and makes the truck feel lite on its toes, when you hit minor bumps, when on ice, it wants to slide easily, I will try a new set of tires and maybe a bit more weight in the back, the current tires have decent tread but are getting very old and harder not helping it. Mostly wondering if anyone had problems with a similar truck and lift, due to the lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts