The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got finished playing with the performance tune from Bill at Dfuser and all I can say is holy crap!! Now after playing around and running the truck hard at times I did have a sweet smell but it went away rather quickly when I let off the throttle. I am assuming that this is puking, correct? If so, then I have experienced this one or two other times while towing but nothing major. I have also noticed a couple of times a small quarter size puddle of water under the front of the motor. I did search for the leak but never could find anything and I also paid close attention to the degass bottle and no signs of water there either, even tonight. Now where did the water come from? I am planning studs and gaskets for the engine if this is doable with the cab on the frame. I am also planning a new trans and EGR delete when I do the trans but I can't afford to do this and studs at the same time. I have seen others talking about replacing the studs without removing the cab but nothing about gaskets at the same time. What do I do next?

Thanks
Scott

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
I would guess that smell is coolant and you are in the early stages of puking. Pull your EGR valve and smell/look. It is is wet and or smells like coolant, your EGR cooler is shot. That is preferred to a blown head gasket.

Can you change to studs with the cab on? Yes, but I would not advise it. Especially if you have a blown gasket. Then you MUST pull the heads, get a new gasket, make sure the decks are flat and then put it back together. If you end up doing that, have the EGR system removed., Then you will be in pretty good shape. Optional is removing the oil cooler and replacing with an external one.

Ralph

1 - 2 of 2 Posts