The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone have had a 4020 sycro transmission not go into any gear. Does not even grind like it wants to go into gear. PTO is working. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Have you checked the linkage? If the linkage is damaged or worn won't engage the gears on them old 4020's. I know my dad had a similar problem with the 4020 around here, the Linkage arm broke I think so it wouldn't engage the gears.

·
236 Posts
Is it the direct gears 1,2,4,6 or overdrive gears 3,5,7,8 that don't work or none of them? When those shifters and linkage get some wear or have had a hard life it can be a challenge to get them to shift. PTO is a seperate clutch. If you hold the clutch in for about a minute does the hydraulics stop working? Along the same lines do the hydraulics work at all? If so at least you know the main clutch is working. The charge pump stops when you depress the clutch so after a min or so you will run out of hydraulics depending on what kind of shape the check valve up front is in. More than likely the transmission is between ranges due to linkage damage, failure or adjustment.

·
38 Posts
Good info from johndeere720. First thing we need to know is when you say won't go into gear, do you mean the shifter won't physically move, or when you put the shifter in a gear position there is no gear there. That will tell you if your looking for problems outside the tranny or inside.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
The 4020 doesn't have a Park cable so it can't be locked up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You must not work on many JD's. The power shift trans has a separate cable for the parking paw which goes to the side of the trans. Forums are meant to help people not to be a jerk.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Wasn't trying to be a jerk, and I have been around John Deere 4020's and I don't remember there being a cable is all at least I haven't seen one on the '64 around here.

·
4,827 Posts
You must not work on many JD's. The power shift trans has a separate cable for the parking paw which goes to the side of the trans. Forums are meant to help people not to be a jerk.
Re-read the title. He said a syncro trans, not a PS. ;)

·
236 Posts
Synchro locks trans in two gears for park. No cable needed. Ever notice the synchro has a reverse in the 4/7 slot when the wear gets right? Not marked on the dash but works. Makes for a high speed back up! :)

·
4,827 Posts
Synchro locks trans in two gears for park. No cable needed. Ever notice the synchro has a reverse in the 4/7 slot when the wear gets right? Not marked on the dash but works. Makes for a high speed back up! :)
The 4010 and VERY early (IIRC, pre-'65) 4020 tractors DO have a 3rd reverse. The later early models and on only have 2 reverse gears that are sped up.

The the early ones, 1st reverse is the same speed as 3rd forward, 2nd reverse is like 5th and 3rd reverse is like 7th. So, 3rd reverse is 12mph. :D Great for plowing snow. :rock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts