The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a buddy of mine has a '93 Cummins 4x4 and it's a sharp truck. He only wants $4,000 out of it but the synchronizer is about to go out of it. How hard of a fix is this and what am I looking at as far as time and money goes?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
which synchronizer? I know when the synchros started to go out on my ford it wasnt very expensive to purchase them but rather a very long task at replacing them. your probably looking at 4-500 in labor if you have a good hookup from a mechanic. Or possibly more if you dont personally know the mechanic..

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Buy it and rebuild the entire trans with new syncros and have them mic the gears and replace any that are out of tolerance. Manuals are not that pricey to rebuild and you will have a piece of mind knowing the trans is in good shape for the time that you own it. Might be a good time to put in a South Bend clutch, I know I would.

Tony

·
444 Posts
The 93 FSM has a very good rebuild section for the getrag. This is the only year FSM with the getrag section in it. You can't get the FSM from Dodge anymore. But Geno's Garage does sell them.

Syncro kits and a few other small parts on ebay go for around 200.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Price sounds OK even with the rebuild job...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts