The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who swears by synthetics and uses them religiously in all his vehicles everywhere he can add fluid. :40oz

I have used Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec motor oils and have had good luck. Anybody switched their differentials or transmission fluid to synthetic? If so, would you recommend a particular brand over another?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Diffs are pretty much a must for synthetic these days. Trannys are picking up too. I use AMS OIL throughout. Here is a gear lube study that just came out Oct 1st.
http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearlubes/WhitePaper.aspx
One thing that's interesting is the fluid that comes from the factory. Both GM's and mopar's products had foaming problems which can greatly reduce their extreme pressure protection. Ford pulled their 75W-90 from the market due to failures, that's why they don't have a product in the study. I believe they are using the 75W-140 now?
Other name brands on their that also had some problems. The totals at the end are added up like a golf score. We did come out on top, but the thing to look at is the numbers that show in red. These are specific scores that failed a certain test and a lube is only as good as its weakest point.
Happy reading:)

Oh ya, for tranny fluid, our universal ATF does meet all 3(GM, Ford, and Dodge) brand specs for the atf. Has been shown to reduce operating temps 15-20 degrees which can increase the life of the oil and the tranny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts