The Diesel Garage banner

What type of oil and OCI do you use?

• Mineral Oil

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Synthetic Oil (normal change interval)

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Synthetic Oil (Extended change interval)

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lively debate going on at BITOG over whether synthetic has any benefit over mineral oil OTHER than the potential for extended intervals.. I am of the school that says for $30 extra or so, there no cheaper insurance that going with synthetics .. after 1000 miles, I went 100% synthetic in my truck... TranSynd in the Alli.. Schaefer 9000 in the engine, and Royal Purple in the front and rear diff.. Brakes and PS are already synthetic..

Reasons I like synthetic:

-better thermal stability
-better cold starting (flow)
-better oxidation resistance
-better sheer qualities
-longer lasting additive packages in many cases

Anyway, the question is.... do you feel there are any reasons to use synthetics over mineral oils in your diesel trucks?

feel free to discuss.

·
590 Posts
Not a doubt in my mind that syn isn't the way to go. This being said, i only use it in a handful of my stuff. To switch every thing i own over to syn, would run into some major cash..

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a doubt in my mind that syn isn't the way to go. This being said, i only use it in a handful of my stuff. To switch every thing i own over to syn, would run into some major cash..
well, yeah, I can imagine if you run a fleet, or maybe own one and there is not financial benefit to synth, that could get expensive. In my case, I own 3 vehicles, and that's not too much cash over a year ... especially since two of the require synth from the factory...

·
68 Posts
First not ALL Synthetic motor oils are created equal. Some willl say all syn are the same, NOT true. All Brands are chemically diffenent down to the base stock to the additives.

I run AMSOIL in all my vehilces for over 10 years now, and right off from the 1st oil change from new, and do extended oil drain intervals on them all. I have went as high as 27,000 miles in 1 year on my daughters vehicle on 1 oil change commuting back and forth from school. I am on my 3rd Dodge CTD and run Amsoil in all of them with extended drain intervals backed by oil analysis, my 2002 ran a total of 70k and 5 years on the same oil with bypass filtration and all I did was change my filters and top off. Oil was still good when I traded it in.

Why I choose Amsoil is they use the best of additives a PAO synthetic base stock, and a guarentee right on the bottle of 25,000 miles or 1yr drain intervals. No other oil comes close. Others will have a different view but this is mine. I'm happy with my choice, saving $$ in the long run and also the evironmental issue of not using conventional oils. Made in USA. :usflag

·
Duramax/Allison
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I fully agree they're not all created equal... I also use a PAO based synth (Schaeffer) and I like their additive package, high in boron and a good amount of ZDDP, and most importantly, designed to suspend high amounts of soot (8% saturation point) for diesel engines.

My point in the question however is whether people are using synthetics or mineral oils.. I've seen quite a few duramax (and other diesel) owners swear by 15-40 Rotella and Delvac for example.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I have been running Rotella T syn oil in my 6.0 engine since 15,000 miles. I have over 122,000 miles today. I run it because it makes the engine run quieter and because of the shear factor of the 6.0 engine.

·
68 Posts
One of many reasons which can clearly benefit from the use of synthetic motor oil is the turbocharger. When a turbo charged engine is shut off immediately after a high speed run, "heat soak" occurs from the engine, and it considerably increases the temperature in the turbocharger. Over a period of time this can lead to deposits that can block the oil flow to the turbocharger bearings, leading to turbocharger seizure.

·
1,836 Posts
One of the ways to help decide is to dip your hands in the oil and then wash them. Synthetic is much harder to wash off - new or used.

·
68 Posts
I don't understand the question ? but anyways.
New oil no, regarless of syn or min. Now used oil yes on a new diesel with DPF, get that oil on your hands with had soot in the oil makes it hard to get off.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
You mean there is something other than Synthetic? :shrugs

·
77 Posts
Running Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 with 10k oil changes backed up by EOA reports at each change.

Reactions: 747MD11

·
Registered
6 Posts
When it comes to oil I actually come up with the situation when my car get struck in the middle of the road without oil more often. And I give preference to mineral oil instead synthetic one. Now I got the information about this garage that perhaps would help me in future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts