The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks i am new here, i have the opportunity to pick up a t444e and i would like to swap it in place of the idi in my truck now, it has the wire harness and the electronic moduals on the right side valve cover,what elseis needed to make this thing run other than the fly by wire aaccelerator pedal, the truck has no electronics and i dont want a cummins and a dt wont fit, i know i can get more reliable power from the t444e than the idi, have zf5 transmission any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
You'll need to do some searching about the differences between a T444E and a 7.3 Powerstroke. Most of it is just external fitment stuff, like the rear cover, the front cover and the oil pan. In a lot of Class 6 trucks the fan is driven off the crank directly, on the PSD it'd on the water pump. Stuff like that.

The basic engine is the same, block heads, etc. but you'll need some Powerstroke parts to make it all work. Generally the best scenerio for a swap like this is to start with a donor truck. In your case, a 94.5-97 Powerstroke truck would be best, but a Super Duty could work.

Search here and elsewhere, and you'll find the info you need. Good luck with the project.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idaho, it is going in a 90 with an Idi, what powerstroke part would i need, truck is not electronic, the only thing i think i will need is the fly by wire accelerator pedal

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
To bolt it to a Ford transmission you'll need a rear engine cover, with a Ford bell housing adapter. Most medium duty applications (like busses) use SAE bell housing patterns.

I understand what you want to do, but sometimes you need to make the changes for ease of install. If you run the IH medium duty turbo you'll have to do more to fab up a down pipe to make it work etc. Just consider how a few changes can make your install a whole lot easier.

Sent by my right thumb!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts