The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3406B. Tach sensor on right side of flywheel housing has two wires. When replacing with a new sensor does it matter which wire goes to each of the two connections on the new sensor? Also, how far do you back the sensor out after screwing it in to touch the flywheel? Is 1 turn out correct? Thank you for any info.

·
515 Posts
Bottom out gently then back out a turn is the way I was taught .

if anything, I make real sure it is out the minimum of 1 turn. Never had an issue that way. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I got into the same dilemma about the wires after having wiring ripped to shreds. IIRC I checked with KW when getting the new 30+ $ pigtail and the schematic did not specify any polarity (for lack of a better term) I wouldn't swear to this 'cause it has been a few moons. It was on a speedo sensor. But they are both just proximity sensors. Crying shame you ask a question like this and just get crickets for 3 days on here. And then of course, a half ----- reply like mine. This used to be THE place..... They call it progress....

·
323 Posts
Aw, come on. It was the weekend.
If it's a pulse sensor, there is no polarity.
If it's a hall effect, it does. You won't hurt it, it just won't work.
I would go about 1 1/4 turns to be safe.

·
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. I switched the wires on the old one before I took it out and it acted erratically either way so I figured no polarity issue. Put the new sensor in and problem solved. Thanks again, Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts