The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with this company. I am removing the hydraulics, hoist and dump bed and replacing it with an aluminum bed. I am doing more hauling than dumping. I will save about 1,600 lbs. with an aluminum bed

thanks
WFTREE

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
wftree said:
Anybody have any experience with this company. I am removing the hydraulics, hoist and dump bed and replacing it with an aluminum bed. I am doing more hauling than dumping. I will save about 1,600 lbs. with an aluminum bed

thanks
WFTREE
I doubt you'll save 1,600lbs weight if the new body is the same size as the existing steel body you have. I ran a 9' Tamaqua aluminum dump body on my F-450 before I removed the 9' rugby steel body and it saved me ~900 lbs.

I just got a quote on a 12' x 42" J&J aluminum dump to replace my Godwin 12' x 42" steel dump and the weight savings was ~1,400-1,600lbs.

It's true that aluminum weighs only 35% of comparable thickness steel, but aluminum bodies are typically thicker than their steel counterparts, so the weight savings is typically less than 65%.

Now if you're installing a smaller sized body, you could be saving more.

·
what does not kill you ..
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 600-700 lbs will be the hoist, pto, hydraulics etc. The steel bed is way overbuilt. I bought it cheap but who ever made it used LOTS of steel to make up for bad welds and design. Also it has a solid bulk head which weighs a lot and is not very aerodynamic.

wftree

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
wftree said:
About 600-700 lbs will be the hoist, pto, hydraulics etc. The steel bed is way overbuilt. I bought it cheap but who ever made it used LOTS of steel to make up for bad welds and design. Also it has a solid bulk head which weighs a lot and is not very aerodynamic.

wftree
Gotcha.
You will definately feel a "horsepower gain" when you put your truck on a "diet".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts