The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Now Cummins Powered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had my oil changed for the first time at 2300 miles at ford. Came home and parked it. Next day I got up to do some running around and at my first stop I noticed this nasty sounding noise while the truck was idling. The noise had no rythem to it and almost sounds like a tapping popping sound coming from somewhere on the back lowerhalf of the motor. I baby the hell out of the truck so it can't be something I caused, and I only started noticing the crappy noise after the First Oil change. Has anyone else experienced this type of noise and if so what is it, and is it damaging the motor. I plan on brining it in for service some time this weekend or early next week, but schedule is tough. I will add that whatever it is, it does not sound good!!!:help

·
384 Posts

·
454 Posts
MRBOHN23 said:
Well, had my oil changed for the first time at 2300 miles at ford. Came home and parked it. Next day I got up to do some running around and at my first stop I noticed this nasty sounding noise while the truck was idling. The noise had no rythem to it and almost sounds like a tapping popping sound coming from somewhere on the back lowerhalf of the motor. I baby the hell out of the truck so it can't be something I caused, and I only started noticing the crappy noise after the First Oil change. Has anyone else experienced this type of noise and if so what is it, and is it damaging the motor. I plan on brining it in for service some time this weekend or early next week, but schedule is tough. I will add that whatever it is, it does not sound good!!!:help

Your not alone with this issue. Our new town truck up here in massachusetts just started doing that today, wasn't doing it at idle, but high idle when it kicks up. Ford also just did an oil change a couple days ago as well. and this 2008 6.4L just turned 2000 miles. I don't know what it is but thank god i didn't pay for it. If it gets worse the mechanic is gonna know about it and i am sure he will give it back to ford. I have a bad feeling that there is gonna be some engines replaced under warrentee, i hate to say it.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Ok does anybody not see the similarity's both happened after the first oil change which was done somewhere ie: dealership or service station ! Mechanics or not there are less desirable people getting paid to work on trucks these days. Maybe its not the truck that caused the problem ? I do all my own services the only true way to get the job done right ! I hope you get your issue resolved it way to young to have problems !

·
Now Cummins Powered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my 6.4 just went in for a possible surgery today. I stopped by my local ford dealership on the way home from work this morning and the head diesel tech came out to listen to the noise. And by his immediate reaction I knew something was wrong. He said yep, I hear it. Hang out for a few minutes and Ill let you know what I think. He came in to the office a couple minutes later and told me that it is something internal that he has never experienced before, and after checking online with Ford he was not liking what he was reading. He gave me a loaner car and I left my baby at the shop. Sounds to me like it is going to be a cab off disection of the motor. I think it could be something to do with the oil pump, but I'm not a mechanic. The noise is coming from the back middle of the motor, and it mostly occurs at an idle. Hey my thoughts are this: 50k for the truck, It should be damn near perfect, but if it isn't, then fix it as quickly and thoroughly as possible. My dealership rocks with customer service so I think they will fix it if they can or replace the motor. I just want pictures when the cab is off. If anyone else is hearing this noise, get yours in right away! :mad:

·
1,409 Posts
ZeroOne said:
And here's a brief explanation from a chevy diesel tech:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5210437&postcount=10

Read this one, I freaked out when mine started doing this. I now have 85k and it still does it. Like the guy said, diesels have made this noise for more than 20 years. We just couldn't hear it over the other noise. I hope for everyone's sake this is the issue, which really isn't an issue. One thing I did notice was the switch to 5w40 synthetic seemed to make it less noticeable, but it is still there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah it used to happen to my dad's truck after the first oil change. Then it went away, a lot of peoples' predictions are that the service mechs overfill the oil. And thus this happens, the noise stopped after about 1000 miles, but learned a good lesson hes going to have to change the oil himself, or maybe i will have too..

·
384 Posts
With all of these tapping noise symptoms happening after oil changes, I have a hard time believing that it is a serious mechanical issue. Maybe it is... but that "maybe" combined with the common nature of the problem is keeping me from allowing anyone to do anything to mine.

Haven't noticed the noise in a while, which could be since it's colder out and I don't usually hang out listening to the truck idle. Had the oil changed a couple of days ago, and I hear the sound again (but again, it could just be that I'm paying attention, with all of the growing paranoia).

One thing that I'm curious is to the type of oil used. Should be on your recepit.

Mine are:
5,000 - 15w40 (summer)
10,000 - 15w40 (fall)
15,000 - 10w30 (winter)

I've had the tapping after the 1st (through the summer) and 3rd (a few days ago). Was too busy during the period of the 2nd to have noticed anything. So that basically verifies 15w40 and 10w30 as present, for me.

Appreciation goes out to the guys willing to make the sacrifice of time and investment to find the root of the cause.
:thanks:

·
Registered
79 Posts
onebadf150 said:
Ok does anybody not see the similarity's both happened after the first oil change which was done somewhere ie: dealership or service station ! Mechanics or not there are less desirable people getting paid to work on trucks these days. Maybe its not the truck that caused the problem ? I do all my own services the only true way to get the job done right ! I hope you get your issue resolved it way to young to have problems !

I agree 100% with the above, I service my own truck always.I Use the new petrocanada 10-40 Fully synthetic works for me & never had any tapping.

I try my hardest to never let my truck ever go back to the dealer, from what I have seen the clowns usually do more harm than good :mafia

·
Registered
277 Posts
K45 said:
I agree 100% with the above, I service my own truck always.I Use the new petrocanada 10-40 Fully synthetic works for me & never had any tapping.

I try my hardest to never let my truck ever go back to the dealer, from what I have seen the clowns usually do more harm than good :mafia
I would rather get a new truck then let them work on mine....... every time I have brought others in,there is a new dent or they roll down the window and scratch the glass and that really drives me nuts........

On another note how about turn up the radio and quit looking for some thing wrong and drive the dam thing, its a diesel and if you wanted some thing with out noise should of got a gasser...... Oh wait,thats wright all the gasser seem to have piston slap and you will again have noise....... lol

·
Registered
214 Posts
onebadf150 said:
So if these guys cant even put oil in an engine correctly, how do you expect them to even turn a wrench on the truck?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAN one of you fine gentlemen tell me how much to replace a oil pan gasket on a 2010 F350 6.4? my rig in the shop this dude is trying to set me up starting at 5000? And i dont have the money for any of this bullshit of course lol so i feel like hes trying to rob me, i read some mechacnics can tilt the engine to avoid pulling the engine. hes trying to say that the diesel knocking needs to be looked at but i dont think its abnormal sound really and my truck was running well so im bout to yank my truck and find a more acceptable solution. im out in northern calif. if ya all know of a good mechanic. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts