The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine has an 01 cummins with an auto tranny (obviously due to thread name) but he was wondering if there was anyway to do a lock on his TC. i know on fords you just need to run ground a wire and run it to a switch.. are dodges anything like this? any info would be great

·
1,189 Posts
yes you can do it like stated with the ford. I did this on mine. I don't have the link to the diagram anymore. someone should be able to point you in the right direction

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Orange wire/Black stripe coming out of your PCM middle connector.
T into it.
Run it to a switch and ground the other side of the switch.
Manual jump your trans relay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks

·
93 Posts
what is the point in of doing a TC lockup.

·
706 Posts
Onebadtruck said:
what is the point in of doing a TC lockup.
Realistically,it is for testing purposes,thats about it. Anyone using it for anything else without a controller,will forget it on and end up trashing there trans.When used properly with a controller,it helps give engine braking and keeps the tc locked when wanted, if the trans is built to take it,with billet parts,and good tc,and internals,it can be good,as it provides 100% power transfer when locked.
It is also used by guys who got enough money to mod the motor,but are too cheap to buy a good torque convertor and trans,and try to get by by locking the stock TC to accelerate quicker.They quickly fry the lockup out of the tc,and forget it on as well,trashing 3rd gear and a few other parts.
On a 2001,there is no reason to lock the tc manually,as it locks in 3rd from the factory at WOT,and stays locked while it shifts to OD.The 99 and older trucks would not lock WOT until almost wound out in OD,or until OD off was selected,then it would unlock to shift to 4th,and relock when OD was turned off.

·
1,189 Posts
I use mine on my 01 when towing to keep the temps down because factory locks up at higer speeds. but have not been towing since I found my cooler was plugged so it may not be that big of an issue with a good flowing cooler. but would say he should upgrade his parts before doing this as it can fry a stocker real quick from what i have seen. but you do know if you don't turn the switch off as it will shake the crap out of you.. but I have heard of a way someone wired it like a controller so as not to forget to turn it off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts