The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 job 1. Trying to figure out if I need a spartan tcm to run the 275 or 310 tune? I have been hearing its a waste and people are removing there tcm, but I am not sure if thats from only non job 1 build trucks.

My truck is shifting very well right now with the 250 tune. I get on the throttle every now and then, but dont feel I abuse it. Mainly looking for the added mileage and the low end power. Along with the quicker lock up in 5th gear. As soon as the truck downshifts on the highway it turns into a turd.

·
194 Posts
I have a job 1 and I run the 275 most of the time. I don't have shifting problems at all unless I don't let the trans learn the tune. I am looking at getting a new TCM but from the dealer or from a junk yard. I don't have the experience with one but unless you go over 275 I wouldn't worry about it.

·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kinda what i was hoping to hear. I dont really need the extra horsepower. just want the torque. From what i gather, there is a good jump from the 250-275

·
194 Posts
I've never ran the 250 but I know my 275 tune is a beast. Smokes like a chimney and runs like a scalded dog all while getting around 16-18MPG on the highway with 38's if I keep my foot out of it.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
There are certain Job 1 TCM's that need the Spartan TCM as a replacement when using the bigger tunes. If you plan on ever going to a fully built Suncoast tranny, then I would not worry about going to the Spartan TCM. If you don't plan on it but want to run higher tunes then I would consider buying the Spartan TCM. You can run the TCM in conjunction with the Suncoast torque converter and have no issues. Its when you run it with the Suncoast internals (especially the upgraded solenoids) that you will run in to problems with absurd shifting. Line pressure is just to high. I am currently running the Spartan TCM with my fully built Suncoast with no problems. Others have reported big problems, but like I said its mostly due to the upgraded solenoids.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
There are certain Job 1 TCM's that need the Spartan TCM as a replacement when using the bigger tunes. .
How do you tell?? I asked once when I was getting tunes from Spartan and never got a answer?

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
How do you tell?? I asked once when I was getting tunes from Spartan and never got a answer?
Matt has some strategy codes in a post when we released the 310 and TCM back in September of 2009. If you can find the post/thread then it would tell you. I don't know where to even start looking lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts