·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the new duramax even comparable?

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
New, as in the dpf equipped? That is basically the only change in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is the 6.4 so much better. I don't know **** about the 6.4s, I just hate chevys and want to make him feel like a jackass. I am sitting in school right now. I take automotive technology at a vocational school. New as in the LMM

·
Registered
58 Posts
Horses for courses, I say. The windshield in the GM isn't tall enough (can't see stoplights). Nice ride, good tranny, decent motor. A gentlemans 'heavy duty'.

But wtf do I know, I have a 5.9 Ram.

·
114 Posts
I will be the first to admit that the Dmax is better in every single measurable way. Fuel economy, power, power band, torque curve, on and on. Whether the "truck" is better or not is much more open for debate, but I would not argue with your teacher on the merits of the 6.4 vs LMM unless you want to sound ignorant of the facts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
EKUgrad said:
I will be the first to admit that the Dmax is better in every single measurable way. Fuel economy, power, power band, torque curve, on and on. Whether the "truck" is better or not is much more open for debate, but I would not argue with your teacher on the merits of the 6.4 vs LMM unless you want to sound ignorant of the facts.

You might have some knowledge on the 6.0L. But what do you know about the 6.4? It's a whole different animal. As of right now there are 250hp tunes for the 6.4L stock. Thats well beyond what the 6.0L was able to achieve from tunning. I don't think International designed this motor to be 2nd behind the Duramax in anyway.

·
114 Posts
The 6.0 had tons of problems, common knowledge. The 6.4 (which I have) has had very few catastrophic failures, so if your bar is so low that the lack of widespread catastrophic failures is a testament to success, then yeah, it has been great.

The fuel economy is piss poor pitiful. The power (while adequate and I am not complaining) is NOT on par with the Dmax.

Let's not compare performance with mods -- amongst those who do such things it has been known for some time that the Dmax is very mod friendly, with tons of power to be added fairly cheaply.

The Dmax, especially when combined with the Alli, is a better powertrain combo.

Even knowing this I chose a 2008 King Ranch. If it were not for the consistent 9-12mpg, mixed, that I get (when my 05 Dodge consistently got 18-20 doing the same driving), I would love my truck. As it is, I recognize its flaws.

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: I love these discussions.

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
CAT_DIESEL_MAN said:
stupedist thing to argue abought seoursley just love diesel engines in genral and be done :>:usflag
I concur.
Lets not stat another pissing match here. Each truck has it's own strongpoints and weakpoints. If someone thinks that the Fords are having problems, so are the duramaxes and the cummins for that matter. All of the manufacturers put out some good vehicles and some bad ones. They are only made by humans. No matter what mfg you choose you take a chance in geting a bad one. The numbers are not as bad as years ago. I am friends with an old GM engineer from the 60's. He would see cars going off of the line with axles tracking wrong and many other problems.
Today, with these trucks having so much in them it is actually hard to believe that there are not more bad ones. Besides, this is the first year for the 6.4, give Ford and IH a chance to roll out the bugs. GM has had DPFs plugging and a few motor failures. Even Cummins has had some motor replacements around where I live.
Final point, Just pic a make that suits YOU best and respect another for choosing what HE/SHE chose.

Had to get that out, :popcorn: :usflag :RTFM:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rainman said:
You might have some knowledge on the 6.0L. But what do you know about the 6.4? It's a whole different animal. As of right now there are 250hp tunes for the 6.4L stock. Thats well beyond what the 6.0L was able to achieve from tunning. I don't think International designed this motor to be 2nd behind the Duramax in anyway.
You're right I think it was build to feel like a normally aspirated engine that could outlast any other diesel out there.

·
SeaPig
241 Posts
TSGS69400 said:
I concur.
Lets not stat another pissing match here. Each truck has it's own strongpoints and weakpoints. If someone thinks that the Fords are having problems, so are the duramaxes and the cummins for that matter. All of the manufacturers put out some good vehicles and some bad ones. They are only made by humans. No matter what mfg you choose you take a chance in geting a bad one. The numbers are not as bad as years ago. I am friends with an old GM engineer from the 60's. He would see cars going off of the line with axles tracking wrong and many other problems.
Today, with these trucks having so much in them it is actually hard to believe that there are not more bad ones. Besides, this is the first year for the 6.4, give Ford and IH a chance to roll out the bugs. GM has had DPFs plugging and a few motor failures. Even Cummins has had some motor replacements around where I live.
Final point, Just pic a make that suits YOU best and respect another for choosing what HE/SHE chose.

Probably one of the best posts I have seen.
LMM's are quite awsome. As with most Chevy's.:popcorn:
Dodge builds a really nice system
I just went with a PSD....What the hell:shrug:
~Mike~:usflag

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't believe how many new 6.4 owners act like a bunch of whinning,crying,babys.

" Mommy, he said something bad about my new truck"

Whahwaawhahahah
Boohohooohoho

If you can't handle a little critisum or some "ribbing" then the internet is NOT your venue.

Look guys, there is no denying that the d-max/allison is a great combo.

There is also no denying that Cummins builds a great motor.

But remember that both of those come wrapped in crap!

You just purchased the best complete truck on the market.

So RELAX!!!

·
1,288 Posts
TEXXAS said:
I can't believe how many new 6.4 owners act like a bunch of whinning,crying,***-babys.

" Mommy, he said something bad about my new truck"

Whahwaawhahahah
Boohohooohoho

If you can't handle a little critisum or some "ribbing" then the internet is NOT your venue.

You just purchased the best complete truck on the market.

So RELAX!!!
hahah good post you have made my moring

·
Registered
214 Posts
TEXXAS said:
Whahwaawhahahah
Boohohooohoho

:cry: Whahwaawhahahah

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
I can see this thread contains a lot of valuable information. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
133 Posts
TSGS69400 said:
I concur.

Good post. Had many trucks made by the Big 3 and they all were great vehicles and all with individual faults. The LMM is a sweet engine, and so is the Cummins. Liking my PSD too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.