The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my Tekonsha Prodigy, on my 2008 6.7L. Everytime I hookup my trailer, I keep getting the n.c. display, for not connected.

The truck is still factory wired for the 7 pin connector. I bought this prodigy and a plug and play harness for that truck.

I took it to a trailer place today and we even swapped out Prodigy boxes, and they are getting an n.c. display as well. Sometimes the power was going to the trailer brake wire, and sometimes is wasn't, but we still couldn't get it to light up a number, illustrating the actual voltage that it was sending back to the trailer.:banghead:

(FYI - We unhooked the trailer and used a set-up that they had to test the truck itself, without the influence of any potential trailer problems.)

Anyone have any Tekonsha Prodigy issues that might be able to help!??!?!:S:

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
I am having issues with my Tekonsha Prodigy, on my 2008 6.7L. Everytime I hookup my trailer, I keep getting the n.c. display, for not connected.

The truck is still factory wired for the 7 pin connector. I bought this prodigy and a plug and play harness for that truck.

I took it to a trailer place today and we even swapped out Prodigy boxes, and they are getting an n.c. display as well. Sometimes the power was going to the trailer brake wire, and sometimes is wasn't, but we still couldn't get it to light up a number, illustrating the actual voltage that it was sending back to the trailer.:banghead:

(FYI - We unhooked the trailer and used a set-up that they had to test the truck itself, without the influence of any potential trailer problems.)

Anyone have any Tekonsha Prodigy issues that might be able to help!??!?!:S:
i had a problem like yours with the "nc" light

it turned out to be in my trailers wiring harness , but you said you have already tested that

have you tested your trailers wiring?

has the unit ever worked on your truck?

i always clean the plugs terminals before hooking up as well as dirt and road grime can make a bad conection

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Check the plug wiring to make certain there isn't something loose in the pigtail.

One of my electrical techs spent the better part of 4 hrs tracing out his problems, including replacing his Prodigy with a P3 only to find out there was a loose wire in the pigtail.

Transportation management is the bane of my existence.

prt

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
:whs

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Rich, I have had the same issue, put a new end (7 way) on your trailer. It should clear it right up...

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to install a new plug on my trailer tomorrow. I have a round 6-pin, that I plug into a 6 to 7 pin adapter, then to the truck.

I want to see if I can get a 7-pin plug and just wire that onto the trailer.

But, that might take care of the trailer. I am still confused to when I took it to the trailer place yesterday, when we pulled the trailer plug off of my truck, he still couldn't get a correct signal.:wtf So new plug or not on the trailer, I am still trying to figure out how to narrow down, or confirm the truck side.:confused:

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I am going to install a new plug on my trailer tomorrow. I have a round 6-pin, that I plug into a 6 to 7 pin adapter, then to the truck.

I want to see if I can get a 7-pin plug and just wire that onto the trailer.

But, that might take care of the trailer. I am still confused to when I took it to the trailer place yesterday, when we pulled the trailer plug off of my truck, he still couldn't get a correct signal.:wtf So new plug or not on the trailer, I am still trying to figure out how to narrow down, or confirm the truck side.:confused:
take a multi meter and have someone test each function in the truck, the pins are labeled on the flip up cover. There is also a fuse in the power system under the hood, check that. I would defiantly get a 7 pin plug and get rid of the adapter.

·
1,836 Posts
The draw is about 6 A per axle, make a breakout and start at either end.

And as always check the ground :)

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Any news on this one Rich?

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Done!

Looooooong story short......since I had the trailer plugged in the other day (just for lights) to go into Lexington, and there was something going on with the trailer, the brakes started smoking when I got there. So I unplugged the trailer for the ride home and then checked it out the next day. Maybe for the better.....but the magnets and wiring were smoked.

So new backing plate assemblies and I also ran new brake wiring throughout the trailer.

Once I wired it back up, I noticed when I plugged the trailer into the truck, the drums would lock up on the trailer. To me, that was a good sign. At least something was going on. I took apart the connector and switched the black wire that was going to the black wire on the truck (12v positive) to later mate up to the blue wire on the truck (trailer brakes).

Good to go now! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the quick assistance guys!!!:peelout

1 - 11 of 11 Posts