The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few things:

How long should the GPR send power to the other large post?

Should both smaller posts have power while WTS light is on?

My GPR was sending power to the other large post while the WTS light was on and off..... and the engine running.

Also i tested the taller relay towards the front of the truck. It never got voltage to the other large terminal. should that be replaced also?

·
2,509 Posts
the gpr will stay powered for a few seconds before and after the truck is running. the other relay is for your intake heater and I dont think it will come on untile after the truck is running, but I havent fooled with them to much to know for sure because the older trucks like mine dont have an intake heater

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
biz said:
A few things:

How long should the GPR send power to the other large post?
0-15 seconds most of the time, varies by temperature.

Should both smaller posts have power while WTS light is on?
No. With the WTS light on, one SMALL post should be grounded, the other powered.

My GPR was sending power to the other large post while the WTS light was on and off..... and the engine running.
That is completely normal, the PCM was using "after start glow plugs" to control the white smoke after a cold start. The WTS light IS NOT connected electrically to the GPs or the relay.

Also i tested the taller relay towards the front of the truck. It never got voltage to the other large terminal. should that be replaced also?
I think that's the intake heater relay, it may not have been cold enough for the PCM to activate it. You need to check the SMALL terminals. If one is powered and the other grounded BUT you only have power on one of the LARGE terminals, then yes it is bad.

·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea after i started the engine the GPR stayed on for 10 seconds, shut off, and then both small terminals were powered.

I guess its working correctly.

And on the heater relay the 2 smaller terminals were hot, and no power to the other large terminal... so i guess thats working properly also.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You would be correct.

Nice job of troubleshooting. You should stop by the dealer and show them lol

·
Registered
596 Posts
The WTS light will come on every time the key is cycled even though most times the GP's are not energized, or not for long.

I never wait for the light unless it's less than 50 or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts