The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a F350, PSD, Crew, Long Bed. I just bought a 12K, 24 ft deckover that weigt about 2500 lbs empty ( I think ). I will be putting about 2-3K lbs on the trailers. Question, when you you guys use your Tow/Haul Switch? Should I be using it even when the trailer is empty?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
29 Posts
That depends on how the truck reacts and what kind of road you are traveling over.

I normally don't when I run a trailer empty but just think of what the tow/haul button does.

1st It keeps the truck in a lower gear longer to keep you in the middle of the power band and minimize gear "hunting". It also will downshift and lock up the converter when slowing down to help lessen service brake usage. (it helps a little but without a jake break (exhaust compression brake) it only does so much). Two things to remember, once up to speed make sure the truck isn't shifting in and out of OD a lot. If so hit the Tow/Haul. Second would be see how it tows, if you feel like it's sluggish for no reason or it's constantly down shifting to find the right gear or enough power to maintain speed then you should be in tow/haul mode.

BUT just my :2cents

1 - 2 of 2 Posts