The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is done here.......plows are going away today . Plow boys , that was not a good winter was it ?

·
706 Posts
No it wasnt a great winter for per push accounts. It was however great for the seasonal acctsLOL . I pulled the sidewing frame monday,and im going to wait until mid april to yank the controller,and pack the salters and plows away for the year.

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John , one of my guys is over at your site all the time and he is trying to convince me to buy something called fluid film . He wants to mothball the plows for the summer with it . Does that make any sense ?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
out of curiosity, what kind of money can you make shoving snow around?
I assume it aint bad, because John, Phillip, Greg, and several others seem to enjoy it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
In 1997, I made over $100,000 plowing snow. We had one blizzard that was 30" of snow. That storm alone paid over $30,000.

That was running 2 pickups w/ 8.5' & 9' plows, one dump w/ an 11' plow & salt spreader and one Ford backhoe all running for about 70-80 hours straight.

On a bad year, it was usually ~$20,000. After '00 I got out of the plowing business and sold all my contracts to a buddy who owns a landscaping company

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timbeaux38 said:
I assume it aint bad, because John, Phillip, Greg, and several others seem to enjoy it.
I dont really know what the true profit is after your wear and tear . We do most of our site stuff with loaders or rubber tired backhoes. we have 6 trucks with blades all Fishers on F250-F350s but we mostly do ower own properties with them . We used to do alot more , but did not align very well with the concrete business for us. I think its a necessary evil for alot of guys , the equipment is there due to another purpose , so why not hang a plow on it and make some money attitude.

·
706 Posts
Tom,get the fluid film,I bought 2 cases of it,it works excellent,it is very tacky,and doesnr run off,or evaporate at all. The only thing ive used that works as well is Amsoil metal protector,either product would work great,but fluid film smells better. Tim, i love plowing,like anything else, them oney depends on how you run your business and how aggressive you are,but when done properly there is money in it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Did you charge by the inch? Have a minimum amount, then begin upcharging?

I used to go 1-4" was the same then had ranges 5-7, 8-10, etc.

My biggest single customer was a corporate center that paid $1,100/inch. I forget what the ice control and removal of piles of snow per yard from the property was on top of that.

Sometimes I wonder why I gave it up....something to do with employees not wanting to plow 3 straight days....lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everything plow related has been put away for about two weeks now and the frame will be coming off the truck this weekend hopefully. I still got a big pile of salt left that I don't know what the heck I'm gonna do with though. Does anyone have any other uses for this stuff after winter??

Timbeaux38 said:
This was my first winter and I got a pretty late start, but I almost broke even after buying the truck ($7,200) and all the parts I had to replace. If we had one more 4+" storm, I would have broke even.

With one truck, 26 accounts, and about a 5 hour route, I'd make about $1100 for 4" of snow. Residential only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts