The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you 7.3 gurus,not new to this site but new to this particular forum,im in heavy duty alot! Have an 01 7.3 70,000 miles owned since new. Whats the best all around tow,driving,mileage programmmer?? I dont want to change injectors,turbo ETC. I want to put cold air,gauges,exhaust on,and want RELIABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!! Bone stock now,and do haul heavy at times. Thanks :shrugs

·
6,337 Posts
Get a 4" turbo back exhaust, a intake of your choice (There all the same IMHO) and a set of gauges (boost, pyro, tranny)...

Then look at a TS chip from Power Hungry Performance, Gear Head Performance, Total Diesel Performance, Swamps or the like...

Should put you at about 300hp to the rear wheels and a well running truck.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Get a 4" turbo back exhaust, a intake of your choice (There all the same IMHO) and a set of gauges (boost, pyro, tranny)...

Then look at a TS chip from Power Hungry Performance, Gear Head Performance, Total Diesel Performance, Swamps or the like...

Should put you at about 300hp to the rear wheels and a well running truck.
:stupid

Cant beat a good custom tuned chip from one of the great tuners he mentioned

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
people always give me **** for this but i will say if you are looking for reliability and ease of use get a superchip. It by no means will give you the most power out of the truck. but it is plug and play three levels and is safe. My pops has an 02 with 221k on the clock and has had the superchip on it since 15k. Now this is a ext. cab long bed with a full metal topper, this is my winter plow truck (Vblade no little plow) and tows on average 12k 3 days a week over the summer months. All this said the only thing ever replaced was a fuel pump and hpop the rest is stock (including transmission)
most people think when people ask witch chip is the best they go by the highest hp rating and i will say all the posts above are rite and are good tuners but if you want something just plain simple (if my dad could figure it out anyone could) cant go wrong with superchip :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
DP tuner anyone?

I have to add DP-Tuner in there for a custom tune also:rock. Jody's tunes seem to make the best torque numbers and good HP numbers also. I run one on my truck and have had it for 2 years and love everything about it. I think you will be happy with him or any other of the custom tuning from any of the tuner companies out there. I have always told people that custom tuning is worth the money, it is specific to your truck only. Other chips and tuners i.e. edge,banks,bully dog,superchips ect are a basic off the shelf tune for any truck and you can pay for more custom tuning from some but its expensive. You can pay 300-450 for a good custom set up with 3 tunes or so from any of the custom guys and know that it is specifically for you only. Especially if you plan on towing... they can set up shift points and shift pressure and if you didn't already now the pressure in our 7.3's is one of the bad things in our transmissions. I pull an 18,000# 5er toy hauler 12-18 times a year and love Jody's tow tunes for my high elevation also.

Just my .02 though

Ken

·
6,337 Posts
I have to add DP-Tuner in there for a custom tune also:rock. Jody's tunes seem to make the best torque numbers and good HP numbers also. I run one on my truck and have had it for 2 years and love everything about it. I think you will be happy with him or any other of the custom tuning from any of the tuner companies out there. I have always told people that custom tuning is worth the money, it is specific to your truck only. Other chips and tuners i.e. edge,banks,bully dog,superchips ect are a basic off the shelf tune for any truck and you can pay for more custom tuning from some but its expensive. You can pay 300-450 for a good custom set up with 3 tunes or so from any of the custom guys and know that it is specifically for you only. Especially if you plan on towing... they can set up shift points and shift pressure and if you didn't already now the pressure in our 7.3's is one of the bad things in our transmissions. I pull an 18,000# 5er toy hauler 12-18 times a year and love Jody's tow tunes for my high elevation also.

Just my .02 though

Ken
High TQ numbers at low RPM's are not a good thing...

Also, I beg to differ that DP tunes are higher then the rest...

·
8,265 Posts
Asking which tuner is best is like asking which football team is best. Everybody has a different opinion...and everybody thinks their opinion is right.

Your best bet is a custom tuned chip by a respected tuner. Let them know what you have, what you plan mod wise, and your intentions for your truck.

And...please be aware that a lot of what is said and passed around is rumor...or the typical "I had a buddy who had a buddy who had an uncle who said....".

And I will throw this warning out to all involved. This gent came here asking for information...real world info. This won't turn into a crap throwing thread toward any tuner...and cheerleaders can keep their pom-poms on the sideline.

Reactions: RussK and Deputydog

·
177 Posts
I bought a hypertech program for my 97 f250 about ten years ago just sold that truck in nov. with the same program on it with zero problems. I towed too much with the truck frequently and never had a problem. I had the tune on the truck for aprox. 100k. I made a big diff. from stock( better drivebility, just more user friendly and more power). I know this is a little diff. but I also have a 99 f250 with a dp tuner (stock, tow, 80 econo, 120 race, lope) and I cannot believe the difference. I have had his tunes since 50k and absolutely love them. I have towed heavy 18k a couple times with no problems (as long as I watch my egt's which I do have to back out of the throttle sometimes). I tend to believe that you get better tunes from the independent guys than with the major companies. The dp is very easy to use, one up button and one down button, anyone can use it.

·
459 Posts
Asking which tuner is best is like asking which football team is best. Everybody has a different opinion...and everybody thinks their opinion is right.

Your best bet is a custom tuned chip by a respected tuner. Let them know what you have, what you plan mod wise, and your intentions for your truck.

And...please be aware that a lot of what is said and passed around is rumor...or the typical "I had a buddy who had a buddy who had an uncle who said....".

And I will throw this warning out to all involved. This gent came here asking for information...real world info. This won't turn into a crap throwing thread toward any tuner...and cheerleaders can keep their pom-poms on the sideline.
Whats Dave said!!!!!!!

Any of the above TUNERS will get u what u want.

·
6,337 Posts

No rumor here... Been there done that...

·
6,337 Posts

·
53 Posts
As for the most reliable tuning, I would lean towards an off the shelf unit. I consider these conservative and probably the "safest" of tuners. I have used a couple of these, but here are two that have good reputations. Edge and Superchips. I know there are more great roducts out there, but these two have been through their paces and have a proven track record.

I am now running a custom tune and it is a step above one of the off the shelf programmers. But the benefits from the off the shelf units are immediate and pretty impressive for the price and benefits.

As for the custom tuners out there, I have tried several, I have chosen one and I am happy with my results. There is alot of mudslinging and Monday morning quarterbacking in these here forums, but I think this competition is good because it forces the custom tuners to constantly refine their products to get ahead of the competition. I have had numerous converstaions with many of the custom tuners out there and they all seem to have an interest in the thoughts and requirements of their customers. I did run into one bonehead tuner who had (has) a super big ego and acted like he was doing me a favor selling me a chip, but most of the guys you read about here are pretty knowledgeable guys who are willing to work with you.

When you step up to programmers or tuners, just remember there are two things that sacrifice reliability and that is WHAT'S BETWEEN YOUR EARS and THE RIGHT FOOT!

Hurry up and choose a tuner....and then ask yourself "Why did I wait so long to do this"....................................

·
73 Posts
http://www.vehicleprogrammers.com/206podi1.html

i just ordered this for my 02 f250, i have intake and exh allready, also have gauges sitting on my self in garage waiting to put in, this is the best price anywheres for a new one, and lso works on the 6.0, and is upgradeable on the internet. i was on the fence for a while on wheter to get a chip such as a dp tuner or a ts performance, or a programer, i was set on the ts chip for a long time, but i found this deal and grabbed it while its still around, plus i like the fact that you can also reprogam you speedo with the superchips since i run 235/85/16 in the winter when i plow, and 315/75/16 in the summer, and it removes the speed limiter which should make my trips on the highway go by a little quicker

·
jammer
44 Posts
I say....

Go the easy route and do a programmer. Plug and play. It is inconvenient to load a different tune, but to install, all you have to do is plug into the OBDII port and load up your favorite tune; you don't have to remove the ECU, open the thing up, scrape goop from the ECU contacts, etc.

I will say that in a previous truck I had a chip tuner fail and left me dead in the water at a parking lot. Now, that certainly is not the norm and the Chip manufacture replaced the chip even though I had it for over 2 years.

Call me lazy, use a programmer of your choice!

jerr :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts