The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 7 days I will finally join the performance crowd. I will be buying a Merchant Stage 3 transmission. From what I understand, I get to do the removal and install, but Eric is building the actual trans. I gotta do something other than sitting there with a stupid look on my face.

IIRC, a Stage 3 involves a Precision Ind converter, Transgo kit, Alto clutches, and a few special Merchant tweaks. Should handle 550hp with no problems whatsoever.

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I havent decided on what tuner to use. Its coming down to PPE or EFI. I think I'll be able to borrow a tuner from Eric to try out.

First things first, though....have to get that "mystery" tune out of the ECM so I can load another.

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Kat said:
:woot: That the fun begin :Thumbup:
x2 You'll have fun and :squish the competiton

·
AKA slowdog racing
925 Posts
go with EFI you wont regreat it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well Congrats Tom .:Thumbup: Eric will surely help you. don't worry about the tuner, I'm sure there is something around here at the shop.

I'm here right now with the kids, watching Eric tear apart our truck.:popcorn: He's gotta get it together before smokin

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
TheBac said:
We have to meet in Missouri? I'd love to see St. Louis.
St. Louis :Thumbup:

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The build has been going well.

After I negotiated the wonderful lake-effect snow this AM (3 inches on I-196 --whoa fun!) Got to Eric's shop at 8am. Went out to breakfast first (hey -- we gotta eat!)

Started at 9:30 this morning, had tranny out by 10. During teardown, the only thing we noticed was slight darkening of the C3 clutches. Everything else was in very clean, excellent condition.

Before lunch, Merchant started working on his special "tweaks". Got them done after another round of Ragin' Cajon Burgers at Red Robin.

Build is going smoothly. Eric has the C1/C2 planets done, the C4/C5 section done, and the pump is finished. Just working on the C3 area now.

We'll be done sometime tonight. Taking lots of pics, and will post them later.

·
Registered
81 Posts
TheBac said:
The build has been going well.

After I negotiated the wonderful lake-effect snow this AM (3 inches on I-196 --whoa fun!) Got to Eric's shop at 8am. Went out to breakfast first (hey -- we gotta eat!)

Started at 9:30 this morning, had tranny out by 11. During teardown, the only thing we noticed was slight darkening of the C3 clutches. Everything else was in very clean, excellent condition.

Before lunch, Merchant started working on his special "tweaks". Got them done after another round of Ragin' Cajon Burgers at Red Robin.

Build is going smoothly. Eric has the C1/C2 planets done, the C4/C5 section done, and the pump is finished. Just working on the C3 area now.

We'll be done sometime tonight. Taking lots of pics, and will post them later.
Don't show all the secretsLOL

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got home at 1230am. Roads were still a bit slick from all the snow we received Saturday, so I didnt get a chance to go out and test the transmission's higher-end capabilities.
I can say that under normal acceleration, the shifts are stock-smooth, with no harshness at any point. The new Precision Industries converter does add a new dimension, as I noticed the truck was far more responsive than in the past, and just had a different, "faster" feeling when accelerating. On the last couple roads before I got home, I was able to accelerate froma stop, and under moderate power, the shifts are crisp and quick. No bam-bam-bam shifts and there is no hesitation at all.

We took our time with this build, not because I was a picky customer, but because Saturdays at Erics are usually very laid-back, jovial affairs. As E was working on his "tweaks" for the trans, I took the time to change out all my filters, change the oil and add a fumoto, and rotate my tires.

A Merchant trans is NOT a generic, one-size-fits-all kit, either. Since trans case clearances can vary slightly, E takes the time to measure everything and get everything exactly how he wants it. Its not "toss in 12 new clutches and call it good". He even had to fire up the lathe to modify a couple parts.

Next up is an upgraded tuner, and all the associated parts. THEN we can find out how the Merchant Stage 3 performs under pressure. I am confident it will be up to the challenge, and have room for even more!

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
Since trans case clearances can vary slightly, E takes the time to measure everything and get everything exactly how he wants it. Its not "toss in 12 new clutches and call it good".

The Clearences comment is correct. The clearances can vary but are specific.

Glad to here everything went well and its runnin great.. :Thumbup: When i rebuilt mine i had 2 problem come up but it ended up being a bad C shift Solenoid that took a day or so to track down and a bad bearing.(Thanks to Merchant for having them in stock.)

·
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope Im not speaking out of turn, but we had to take a ream and slightly open up the C solenoid passage, as Eric said that they have a history of sticking, and causing a tie-up.

Eric had his feeler gauges out and for every clutch set he was checking tolerances. My trans had a couple "head scratchers" where E really had to do some thinking to get the final clearances where he wanted them.

I cannot thank him enough for building my trans.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.