The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the tear down the other day and now I am working on cleaning up the frame. Right now I am going as far as I can go before I have to start buying parts. I dropped a lot of money on some cool stuff when I had a job so now I get to install them. Oh and those brackets were a real pain. The asshat that had this truck before wanted to make sure they never came off.

Attachments

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went out there to take photographs of the ground down welds and cleaned up crap. But I tripped over my creeper and dropped my camera. That thing spent all that time in Iraq with me just to get detroyed here at home. I am very angry right now.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Looks like your off to a good start. Keep us updated. :happymugs

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Things just got better. My welder took a crap on me now. I took it apart got it working then in crapped out again. I guess it has sat too long. This is going to be a long biuld.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
That stinks, sorry about your bad luck. I know the feeling. Just remember, it will be well worth it when its all done.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totaly agree. I am going to try and trade one of my dueces for a Millermatic 251. I had planned on purchasing one before I came home. That did not work out all that well.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to snag a camera so here is the latest. I am running into all kinds of problems I did not expect. There are huge differences between the two and four wheel drive frames. Plus, not having my donor truck on site is starting to be a real issue. But for now the brackets are removed and the prep work on the frame continues. I also included a shot of the parts waiting to go on.

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Nice Cat. :haha

Swap is looking good. Remember, slow and steady wins the race. Good luck. :happymugs

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now this is gettin fo reeel

Here is what I got done today. I had to pull the intercooler to get to the frame rails that I have to box in. The have shined peice of flat steel is what I am going to have to form and weld into place. I really did not feel like pulling the fedners to the the suport out of the way so I wiggled the damn thing out. Getting it back in is going to be fun. I also pulled it becuase I want to remove the rest of the paint from it. It looks bad with the paint flaking off. I also found that torn boot that connects the tubing to the intercooler. I am not looking forward to making those frame insters. There is a curve on the lower portion of the frame rail that is going to be tough to duplicate.

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Looking good. Slow and steady. Its coming together nicely.

·
608 Posts
I love the pile of accumulated parts after a deployment... It puts a smile on my face. :)

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sure does. I am out there now working on templates for the peices I have to make to box in the frame.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts