The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need another truck. Due to the Obama economy, it must be used. I must find the "cheapest/best" solution. Here's the list of what I need:

REG CAB chassis Chevy or GMC
DWR
4x4
DMAX
Ally (manual might be OK)
White color
PW/PDL/AC/mirrors

Somewhat high mileage OK

Basically, I need a snowplow/farm truck that can also pull a heavy trailer. I chose dmax/Ally for the reliability & toughness and quiet performance. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I can't see why $10,000 might get it done??

I'd like to avoid LLY's and would prefer 6 speed allison.

Am I dreaming?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
For 10K? Yup... To fit those criteria it would need to have something wrong with it or have really high mileage. Sorry Duke.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I would look into LLYs. They are great motors. I never had issues with mine beyond the usual injector harness issues. People tend to avoid them due to a lot of negative talk but they work well. You will have hard time finding one that doesn't need work unless you know someone. An LB7 EC/SB went for just under $10K on another forum recently.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
You may have to compromise on the regular cab truck.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would look into LLYs. They are great motors. I never had issues with mine beyond the usual injector harness issues. People tend to avoid them due to a lot of negative talk but they work well. You will have hard time finding one that doesn't need work unless you know someone. An LB7 EC/SB went for just under $10K on another forum recently.
So was the LLY 360/650, like the LBZ? Was produced with 6 speed Ally?
Is the overheating issue something that can be fixed properly, or inherent with all LLY?

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
So was the LLY 360/650, like the LBZ? Was produced with 6 speed Ally?
Is the overheating issue something that can be fixed properly, or inherent with all LLY?
The '06 LLY was a detuned LBZ, good for just over 300/600. These were the last motors mated to the ZF-6. It was not offered with a 6 speed Allison. In '06 it was LLY/ZF-6 and LBZ/Allison.

The overheating thing is really a hit or miss deal. I never switched the MP on mine and I towed all over the country. The Kodiak part costs about $70 and also eliminates the resonator. It takes about 20 minutes to it. The harness issue is bit more complicated but the part is like $200 and the ice pick trick on top of the extensions and padding near the alternator and FICM usually results in an LLY just as reliable as the other Duramax motors.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would probably be happier with 360/650 rating & Ally 6 speed.

High mileage is OK as long as there's some history available with truck.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Why? I figured reg cab would be cheapest?
Regular cabs are the rarest type. Took me 6 months to find one, let along one I could afford.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
:whs Reg-cab rigs are almost impossible to find, especially dual-rear wheel equipped trucks

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does GM approve plowing with ext. cab (not crewcab) DRW trucks? Not that I would be finding a truck with any warranty remaining, but I don't like to do things that are not suggested.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
I'm pretty sure the snow plow prep pkg was offered on extended cabs.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, cool. That opens up more trucks for me to select. Wouldn't mind having the X-cab for tools or if I need to carry more passengers in a pinch.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Cant tell you for 100% that is was, but, most of the plow trucks in my neck of the woods are EXT cabs.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
gonna need to do some beefing up on the front end to make it reliable with a plow hanging off of the front

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's plow prepped, it shouldn't need anything. Everybody around here plows with DMAX's.

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Dealer prep is the wiring and turning up the torsion bars. They can handle the weight.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Id still look at some tie-sleeves

·
TDG Mafia Goon
3,710 Posts
Agreed. I think most of us have learned they can fail with no additional weight.

·
23 Posts
I took a look in www.autotrader.com with a high price of 12,000, there are 6 in the country listed. autotrader has dealers, private parties etc and is pretty inclusive. Craigslist is another place to look, I was curious and picked out Texas to search. There are lots of 4x4 duramaxes in Texas.

I have been browsing the wish lists for a couple months, looking for a truck for the bro-in-law and maybe a better one for us.

I think you are going to have a hard time finding a truck in that price range that hasn't had the snot run out of it, or has some kind of major issue.

There is one 4x4 dual rear wheel single cab on autotrader, but it doesn't have a bed on it and is a high mileage LB7. So it will probably need injectors (4 to 5 thou if the dealer does it, 2 to 3 thou if you do it). Plus a bed.

The few trucks that popped up all had close to or more than 200,000 miles on them.

The other thing you have to consider is that GM has an issue with the transfer cases on these trucks equipped with the Allison. The infamous "pump rub" issue has to be taken into consideration also, on an older truck. Ours has 54,000 on it and in the spring (not driving it this winter, it is used to pull our travel trailer) I am going to put the parts in to stop the problem as preventive maintenance.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts