The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find the truth on why Ford is now recommending only Mercon SP again in our torqshift transmissions which was the original fluid they came with, when just a few years ago they said Mercon SP was being replaced by Mercon LV because the SP was being phased out.

But now Ford Motor Co apparently changed their minds and the SP is the only recommended auto transm fluid again and they say not to use the LV.

I used LV on my last transm service and change mine every 30k, I have less than 4k miles to go for the next service and will switch back to the SP now that it's not being phased out.

I have not had any trouble yet running the LV fluid, but have read all kinds of reports saying anything from the LV can cause total failure, clutch burn up, and drain it out asap and replace with the SP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/torqshift-5R110.html

Harry

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
154 Posts
When was that first link put out Harry? I don't see a date.

Now, I have seen some little grumblings about this, folks saying the LV might be a problem, but not enough to raise a flag on. YET!

I have stuck with the SP myself, since that is what it came with.

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first link I believe is older info, but I'm not positive.

Heres a Motorcraft chart from Sept 2014, and it still lists LV fluid for the 5R110W and the newer 6 speed 6R140 torqshift.
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/atf.pdf

So Monday when I get to work, I will call our sister dealership (a Ford dealership) and see what they say.

Being the fluids are so very close in nature, and unless there is some kind of over or under friction modified condition between the two, I'm starting to think you may be correct on this Amdriven, no need to raise a flag yet.

I'll post my answer from Ford after I speak with them, I'll probably call a few dealers just to see if they have any differences in fluid recommendations as of now.

Harry

Reactions: amdriven2liv

·
154 Posts
I don't remember the exact concern on a post I had read, the subject was going from SP to LV then back to SP. Which was a strange thought about having an issue with the tranny.

I'll see if I can scrounge around for the thread.

As a side note to the link, I wish folks would just go ahead and list all 6 gears for the 5R110, instead of listing just 5.
Folks with a Scangauge II using the gear pid will see their truck shifting 1-2-3-5-6.

·
1,213 Posts
I can't seem to find the truth on why Ford is now recommending only Mercon SP again in our torqshift transmissions which was the original fluid they came with, when just a few years ago they said Mercon SP was being replaced by Mercon LV because the SP was being phased out.

But now Ford Motor Co apparently changed their minds and the SP is the only recommended auto transm fluid again and they say not to use the LV.

I used LV on my last transm service and change mine every 30k, I have less than 4k miles to go for the next service and will switch back to the SP now that it's not being phased out.

I have not had any trouble yet running the LV fluid, but have read all kinds of reports saying anything from the LV can cause total failure, clutch burn up, and drain it out asap and replace with the SP.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/torqshift-5R110.html

Harry
Harry - where do they say to NOT use LV?

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres a 2015' official Ford Motorcraft auto-transm fluid product data info...
http://www.motorcraft.com/products/items?userguide=1249079394648&v=101

It's confusing when you read SP is for torqshift only, and it say's nothing about the LV being ok for the torqshift.

I'm going to find out what the truth is one way or another, but I'm not too worried, as my transm has performed flawless with the LV.

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx

If you read both they say LV should not be used where SP is recommended. I know I have LV in mine after my rebuild. The real kick in the head is the 5r110 does not have a drain plug in the torque converter so you can't get it all out. Kind of like coolant when you get a bunch of that in there. When I bought my LV I was told it was replacing SP and SP wasn't available.

Looks like I will be getting a flush soon with no retribution for Ford.

·
1,324 Posts
I don't remember the exact concern on a post I had read, the subject was going from SP to LV then back to SP. Which was a strange thought about having an issue with the tranny.

I'll see if I can scrounge around for the thread.

As a side note to the link, I wish folks would just go ahead and list all 6 gears for the 5R110, instead of listing just 5.
Folks with a Scangauge II using the gear pid will see their truck shifting 1-2-3-5-6.
I tried the other day at 14 deg TFT on my SGII still went from 3 to 5. Guessing it has to be below 0 TFT.

·
1,213 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh.

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-TransmissionFluids.aspx

I think the link above is more accurate than fluid product bulletins.

If you read both they say LV should not be used where SP is recommended. I know I have LV in mine after my rebuild. The real kick in the head is the 5r110 does not have a drain plug in the torque converter so you can't get it all out. Kind of like coolant when you get a bunch of that in there. When I bought my LV I was told it was replacing SP and SP wasn't available.

Looks like I will be getting a flush soon with no retribution for Ford.
The FordParts.com site never kept their information up-to-date IMO.

The Ford Technical site states that LV is not to be used in transmissions requiring SP "EXCEPT FOR THE 5R110W TORQSHIFT" (it is in the third bulleted paragraph in the link below):

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/product.asp?product=MERCON%AE%20LV%20Automatic%20Transmission%20Fluid&category=Transmission%20Fluid

HOWEVER

Check out the Sept 14 chart on transmission fluids (from the Ford Technical Site):

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/atf.pdf

It not only shows LV for our transmissions, but it now has NO MENTION of using SP in our transmissions.

Be aware that some of the confusion comes from the 6HP26 and 5R60/5R75 transmissions that are specified to take ONLY Mercon SP.

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks Mark just in time I was ready to detonate it. :roflol:

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way we use our truck the transm would have grenaded by now if the LV was not suitable. Mark is correct, the various info needs updating to the latest chart specs.

Sorry if I caused any worry by starting this thread.

I think were fine with the LV then, but I'm still going to call Ford for my own piece of mind.

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
I guess what concerns me is is last time I bought fluid I was told SP was no longer available and LV was recommended replacement but it's obviously still available. No worries Harry more info is always better than not enough

Reactions: harry6.0

·
1,213 Posts
Many (maybe most) of the Ford dealerships (or maybe just the service advisors) are also a big part of the problem. They simply don't know the facts and they just say what they think .................. right or wrong.

Ford did send out an SSM that said they would be developing LV, which would be a broad application fluid and that the vehicles using SP would undergo extensive testing to determine if they could switch or not. IMO - because there are a few applications that apparently can not switch, SP is still available. I don't think Ford has ever dropped that strategy and all of the specific fluid bulletins are being worded with that strategy in mind. By that I mean, Ford seems to be wrapping up this conversion project and switching over as many applications to LV as possible - which includes our TorqShift. The fluid usage chart that I posted above seems to support this.

I doubt that SP will go away for a long time, but (again IMO), what we are seeing is Ford's push to switch to LV where they can.

Now, the question I would throw out there, is whether or not the LV formula is as good .............. or is it somewhat of a compromise. I have no doubt it will work very well, but is it as good or better than SP??? It seems to be the same game as the coolant issue to me. I have been a long time "defender" of Ford Gold, because it will work quite well - within constraints. Diesel rated ELC's have proven themselves to work just as well, but to be MUCH MORE robust (ie better).

Thanks for the post Harry - good discussion.

·
1,213 Posts
Memory Lane:

Ford Special Service Message 21114

"MESSAGE TITLE: REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR SERVICING TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 - 2005 TRUCK : 00126 EXCURSION
2003 - 2008 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2004 - 2008 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2006 - 2008 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME
2006 - 2008 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
ALL 2003-2008 F-SUPER DUTY, 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2004-2008 E-SERIES AND 2006-2008 LCF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH MERCON LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN PLACE OF MERCON SP.

THIS INCLUDES TOP OFF AS WELL AS FLUID REPLACEMENT. MIXING MERCON LV AND MERCON SP IN THE TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION IS ACCEPTABLE. USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID TO SERVICE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS. WHEN ADDING OR REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION, USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID.

Also, the early article (quoted in post 18 of the thread below):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/901966-mercon-lv-and-sp.html

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I called 3 Ford dealers today...

1. Sister dealership in Boise Idaho...they use Mercon LV

2. Sister dealership in Roseburg Oregon...they use Mercon LV

3. Local dealership Gus Johnson Ford in Spokane WA, where I live, that does high volume truck sales & repair and whom I trust and get most of my parts from...they use only Mercon SP in Torqshifts and always have, and have plenty SP available anytime, no shortage or phasing out of the SP according to the parts dept.

I'll be switching back to SP on my next service as I planned, but I believe either one is ok.

Harry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts